Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

I am having a mammogram on Friday, is it gonna hurt???

I am having a mammogram on Friday, is it gonna hurt???

Whine! I am such a baby when it comes to pain :( So, tell me honestly, what do they do & how bad is it gonna hurt?

re: I am having a mammogram on Friday, is it gonna hurt???

Yup! :0( (sorry)

They will put your 'girls' on glass plates, squish them flat, and take an x-ray.

Is this just a routine mammogram, or are they looking at a specific lump? If they are looking at a specific lump they use smaller paddles instead of the larger plates, and they squish you even tighter. The big plates (for routine mammograms) although uncomfortable - are not unbearable.

I am biased, though...part of the reason my second mammogram was so bad, was because I had just had breast reduction surgery.
(I do NOT recommend having that procedure done after surgery!!!)

This post was edited on Feb 19, 2008 03:29 PM

If you really want to know....I'm warning you (LOL).

They place your breast between two machines and then flatten them (as much as a breast can be flatten). If you have small breasts, they have to pull them until they get enough to go onto the machine. If you have larger breasts, they only have to pull alittle. I'm only 34 and I've had this done several times.
Is it painful?......yes. Could it be worse?......yes. I've heard small breasted ladies hurt more because of the pulled.
Luckey, I'm on the larger end. They do each breast seperately.
Usually 2-4 (depending) scans of each breast.

It sounds alittle worse then it really is.

Mary

Ouch!! This is a "diagnostic" mammogram b/c I have a lump and they are only doing that breast that has the lump. I think I'm gonna need some valium! I was told it would take 1 1/2 hours. Does it really take that long?

Okay, I'm the odd man out here - mine hurt about a 2 on a 10 point scale. Uncomfortable, but not painful. Hope you're lucky to have a pain-free one too :-)

My Mom had an ultrasound done when she had a lump. Seems like that would be far less painful. You all are making me cringe just reading about it.

I've had mammograms almost everyear because of lumps. I usually go in for a mamo and then they also do a ultrasound (the same day, depending on how the mamo looks). It has never taken 1 1/2 hrs for the testing itself. But it does take that long to fill out paper work, wait w/ other ladies, call me back, get the testing, then wait for the results. It can take even longer depending on how busy they are. It just depends on where your going.

They said they would do an US depending on what the mammogram shows. I'll probably pass out from the pain and they'll have to do an US!
Ok, now I see why they say 1 1/2 hours. They are actually having me check in 25 mins early for paperwork too. So this is a 2 hour appt and then maybe an US after that. I am concerned b/c I am leaving my dd's a friend and I just don't want it to be too long.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat