Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

CA family living in box

CA family living in box

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/01/california-family-found-living-in-box-for-4-years-officials-say.html

Anyone see this? This is so sad. Why did they arrest them? Perhaps drugs or abuse, but they don’t say that in the article. Sounds like a poor, down on their luck family trying to stay together. I would think they’d be taken to a shelter and given food and necessities, not split up and cart the parents off to jail. The property photos show toys and kid things as if the parents were trying...

Of course if drugs or child abuse were present that is another thing. But just poverty? Is that a crime?

re: CA family living in box

I imagine they were arrested because the surroundings were considered unsafe for children under the law (not enough food, raw exposed sewage, etc.) It is very sad if they were out there all alone, completely isolated for 4 years. No family, no friends wondered where those kids were?

Also, I imagine any and all child endangerment cases are going to be acted on really quickly because of the Turpin family tragedy.
:(

re: CA family living in box

We can imagine a lot of reasons why they might have been arrested.

And yes it is technically illegal to be poor. I have worked with some very poor families. The housing laws made for our safety and own good demanding proper beds and bedrooms and only so many tenants in a unit makes it difficult for families to live cheaply by sharing the house with extended family in order to avoid having each subunit pay their own rent.

The laws for car insurance make it very hard for a struggling poverty bound family to move up, I know families that were given good cars, so they could go to a better paying job then they could walk to, but the insurance for the car wipes out their pay check, so do gooders have to pay the insurance, but then they spend their paycheck on toys, not seeing how they need to pay their own way because others pay it.

The seat belt laws make it illegal for 10 people to pack into a car in order to save money. We save their lives but we aren't helping them with the very practical matter of how they can save money and climb up the ladder in time.We drove half a family of 10 back and forth to things for a while but I can't do that forever....

The zoning and business license laws and regulations make it almost impossible for a poor person to pick apples and sell them on the street or to make hotdogs and sell them on the street, you have to have a certain amount of wealth to start your business now, making it again much harder for the very poor to lift themselves up, so they have to rely on charity, but charily keeps them at a certain level of poverty and it makes it hard for them to get off of it because they will feel very poor for a while, but can in the long run do so much better at providing for themselves...

I describe it poorly here, but in general my experience is that the laws although hopefully well intended seem to want to keep the poor immobile and begging for crumbs, or perhaps that is an unintended consequence, just like how minimum wage causes job lost for the least hirable among us...the result of the law matters, we have to think beyond stage one when we write laws for the good of all because most of the time it hurts the poor and very poor, and many times it hurts middle class families too.

This post was edited on Mar 02, 2018 08:15 AM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat