Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Low sodium, low carb, gluten free meals for one person

Low sodium, low carb, gluten free meals for one person

Help! The title says most of it. I eat supper alone most evenings (dh works 2nd shift). I need low sodium, low carb, gluten free meal ideas for one person. Preferably quick ideas. I have plenty of vegetables on hand, but I'm already tired of fish and chicken.

3, 2, 1, go!

re: Low sodium, low carb, gluten free meals for one person

Keniki, after my stent placement in December I have been following the Eat to Live plan by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. It is essentially a vegan plan, but his goal is for his clients to eat fruits, vegetables, nut, seeds, and legumes (and a few whole grains) that are as nutrient dense as possible. So rather than call his food lifestyle "vegan", he calls it nutritarian (you can be vegan and still not eat healthy). I'm losing weight steadily and it meets all the post-stent recommendations by my heart center - low-sodium, low-saturated fat, low sugar. I do not follow the plan 100% as I allow myself a small amount of protein each day.

All this to say, you can find tons of great recipes in his books on the Eat to Live program (library?) or on his and many other websites by googling "nutritarian" recipes. I follow several youtube/facebook people who follow his eating plan (or similar) and have tried their recipes.

Basically, breakfast is a veggie, fruit, grain/seed smoothie or oatmeal with fruit & nuts. Lunch is usually a huge salad w/lettuce, cruciferous veg. and non-cruciferous veggies, and beans such as black beans or pinto beans (an ETL salad is HUGE) with a homemade dressing (with no added fat, sugar or salt). For me, supper is when I add protein and usually have a bean based soup and a small salad. Because I'm the only one eating this way, I do not usually make an entrée at supper (hence the soup) but there are lots of recipes online.

I do have to par-cook the veggies on my lunch salad due to diverticulosis.

**Nutrient dense foods: If choosing a potato, choose orange or purple over white potato. If choosing onion, choose red onion over white onion. If choosing lettuce - choose the greener options (except for romaine, which is very nutritious). Etc. The more color, the more nutrient dense.

I've watched many testimonials of people with heart disease, diabetes, etc. who have put their diseases in remission with this eating plan.

Are you able/comfortable eating red meat? If you choose 100% grass-fed it is quite lean.

If you can add some grass-fed beef, it would give you more meal options.

Maybe add just a little...like 1/2 lb grass-fed beef to dishes for flavor and variety.

I would probably try to make full dishes, and then freeze the extra portions for other days.

Here's a couple links:

http://www.eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htm

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/expert-answers/grass-fed-beef/FAQ-20058059

Thanks, ladies!

Cozy, I was able to get that book at my library. I'll take a look at it.

Faith, yes, I eat beef too, just trying to cut back on it. I'll check out your links too.

Keniki,
If you're comfortable eating ethnic, try Chinese, Korean, and Japanese simple one-wok type of meals. They traditionally eat a very small amount of meat and LOTS of vegetables. You can also make nutritious soups this way.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat