Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Odd payroll question...maybe you all know

Odd payroll question...maybe you all know

Can your employer take money out of your check for a charitable donation that you never signed up for or knew about? DH's company takes 1/2 a percent of gross income out of every check (only twice a month payroll...don't get me started) for something called United Fund. When he inquired, he was told it was a charitable donation. We donate to charities of our choice and to our local church. He'd rather they not take his money and use it how they see for or in a way that's beneficial to them and not us. But, he can't afford to be the "black sheep" and risk losing his job over it.

Anyone know if this is legal or not?

This post was edited on Feb 28, 2018 10:42 AM

re: Odd payroll question...maybe you all know

I have Never Heard Of That!!!!!!

:-o

I am pretty sure that is Illegal!

It sounds like a united way fund. Boo.

It doesn't sound legal to me either! I'd ask my employer to stop and simply explain that you need the money for your own charitable contributions.

This is money your husband earned, the employer can not make a "charitable contribution" with your husband's money, what the employer is actually doing is *stealing * from your husband, and then the employer is turning around and making a charitable contribution with the stolen money. This contribution either makes the employer feel good or benefits him in some way on the business taxes which also makes the employer feel good.

(Now of course I wouldn't tell the employer he is stealing, but I just wanted to label this correctly.When we take things with out someone's permission it is called stealing.)

This contribution either makes the employer feel good or benefits him in some way on the business taxes which also makes the employer feel good.

Yes, he sets the money aside from everyone's check and then writes one big check and shows it as HIS charitable giving. Then the employer gets the tax write off.

I remember the great pressure to have 100% compliance that everyone in each department donate to this when I was in the workplace. The first year I acquiesced to the pressure and stipulated which particular charities under the United Way umbrella would get my donation. After that, I flatly refused.

They are notorious for their affiliates funneling money to liberal causes, such as Planned Parenthood.

This is something that really bothers me - that money is extorted from hard working people and funneled to liberal/immoral causes under the guise of charity.

I am sorry that your family is dealing with this.

United Fund and United Way are "voluntary deductions". My employer has a United Fund drive every year. I never donate, because we donate elsewhere. you need to call HR (he does, actually) and have that removed. it's not required anywhere. Every place I've ever worked participated but employees had a choice.

agree with mama anna above. My former employer "tried" to get 100% participation from every department member...but I said "0"...many of their causes are charities i would not support. Again..it's all voluntary. Your husband needs to press this issue.

This post was edited on Mar 01, 2018 05:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Yes, he's going to bow out of this, and hopefully it won't be an issue.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat