Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Forum privacy

Forum privacy

I've always wondered why these forums aren't visible only to members. Can anyone tell me why?

re: Forum privacy

Across the entire internet, you'll find some forums that are members-only, and some that are open (for reading) to anyone. (But even in those instances, while anyone can read, only members can post.)

I find that it's helpful because sometimes, you need to search for research and a forum has so much information, but you may not need to post. (Well - - likely if you need information, you're not even ready to post.) I do this all the time - washing machines, lawn and garden, quilting, cooking, lawn mowers, carpet versus wood floors, brand of paint, on and on. So I'm sure there are folks who need some curricular information and come here, do some research, then are off on their merry way.

I don't know why... BUT I do know that I'm not the only one who came on here often to read various homeschool posts (and glean helpful information) for quite a while before I joined and started sharing anything myself.

I can understand those reasons and agree that it's wonderful to glean information from other HSers without having to be a member of a forum.

What do you do if you'd like some opinions on a subject of a somewhat sensitive nature? Sometimes there are forums where there are certain areas only visible to members. That's what I'm thinking about.

Sometimes there are forums where there are certain areas only visible to members

That is a whole different kind of software. It simply is not here. This forum uses older software platform. There are many features that are not on here. We're not even sure anyone is manning the station either. blush

So maybe the question is: does this place plan to shut down or eventually upgrade? and if they upgrade, who will pay the bills?

Answer: unknown.

I'll tell you this. on one place I visit, even the private forums end up with glitches and they aren't as private as need to be.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat