Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Thunderstorms

Thunderstorms

The Bible often talks of God speaking in thunderstorms or like thunder. Do you ever listen for God speaking in the thunder?

I often stop and enjoy the storm but I can’t say I’ve ever listened for God in the thunder. I wonder what He was saying when that bolt of lightning took out our computer. What about that hail that flattened everything. Was God trying to tell me something. Hummm.

We do see Gods power in storm. I’ll have to think more on this.

re: Thunderstorms

Recently I read the OT scripture where the LORD God thundered from Mount Sinai, terrifying the Israelites at the base of the mountain (there is more teaching about this in Hebrews). But that wasn't the way He spoke to Moses.

I haven't ever listened for the voice of the Lord in thunder. The main scripture that comes to mind from the NT is that of Jesus rebuking the storm which frightened the disciples, saying, "Peace, be still."

This scripture passage in I Kings 19 also came to mind; it's a favorite of mine. In it the Lord is speaking to Elijah, who ran in fear from evil Queen Jezebel after the Lord had shown such mighty power on Mount Carmel (ref I King 18). Why he was so afraid, I don't know. But he was human like we are.

11 Then He said, “Go out, and stand on the mountain before the Lord.” And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake;

12 and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.

Christ Jesus said the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth who leads His people into all truth (John). He also said, "My sheep know my voice, and a stranger they will not follow."

When I read HIs 'Word, I ask Him to speak to me what I need to hear for that day, trusting Him to speak to me as He promised.

No, I can't say I have...but I sure love the sound of a good thunderstorm!

Funny. We are having a thunderstorm at this very moment, the first in several months. :-)

No, I don't make it a point to listen for God in the thunderstorm.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat