Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: what you're not being told

re: re: re: re: what you're not being told

Cricket - Just a few thoughts that came to mind after reading your post -- about 4-5 different cities responding. If this incident happened in DC there would most likely be over 20+ agencies that would have jumped in their cars and responded to the scene. In DC alone there are well over that many agencies - remember the Navy Yard shooting. That is just what they do - drop everything and run to the event. (On a side note - on 9/11 my dh was in a court cafeteria eating breakfast with a room full of various officers, lawyers, etc. They immediately dumped their food and ran to their stations/offices to respond. No instructions were given to do that - they just did it. I know, an extreme event - but so is a school shooting). SWAT takes time to respond because the officers typically work in other assignments and then have to assemble. And the FBI - I think their response is very telling in all of this and has been on the downhill for well, over the past 8 years. There are still some good officers/agents out there but their management - well, I think we can clearly see how the shop has been managed. It would not be unreasonable that area/bordering departments would immediately respond to this type of event.

Spend one night watching Live PD on A&E and you'll see - just last night I could point out at least 3 examples of numerous agencies responding to 1 call.

The unprotected security guard/coach - this is exactly why my dh changed jobs because they weren't armed to protect the students. Pepper spray and a stick wasn't going to neutralize the threat!

I do think we need to discuss the legal age for purchasing a gun - seeing as we know from science when a brain matures that just perhaps 18 is much too young. You can't purchase alcohol until 21 but you can buy a gun?

And mental health - well, don't even get me started. Unless you have the means to get the help that is needed - it isn't covered or covered in such a small amount that it doesn't fix the problem.

re: re: re: re: what you're not being told

This post was edited on Feb 19, 2018 12:50 PM

re: re: re: re: re: what you're not being told

Drunk driving is against the law. Drugs are against the law. Murder is against the law. Laws won't stop shootings.

Laws don't change the heart of man.

This post was edited on Feb 17, 2018 10:18 AM

re: re: re: re: re: re: what you're not being told

I agree with you, cricket, that were it not for our 2nd amendment, we'd be Venezuela. And some people could take it all the way to North Korea style. Very bad.

As for the agencies responding and the almost over-response, I don't know everything (or much of anything about it for that matter); but I do know that nowadays, if they didn't, they'd be lambasted for a non-response. When the Boston bo* ber incident happened, wow, you should have seen them SHUT DOWN THE CITY. Yikes. No kidding. Swat everywhere.

re: re: re: re: re: re: what you're not being told

This post was edited on Feb 19, 2018 12:55 PM

re: .

I'm interested but couldn't be here yesterday, so I hope you'll post those links again.

The FBI was tipped off twice -- latest was January 5 -- about Cruz, but did NOTHING both times. (They were also tipped off about the guy who sh *** ot up the club in Orlando.)

A former FBI top dog was on FN last night and said that all the major heads there should roll, that there needs to be a massive clean-up there. ITA

They've been so all-fired consumed with trying to prove a DT/Russ connection, it seems they've just quit doing what they're supposed to be about.

I don't know the answer to that one. Just because an officer comes to the home doesn't generate a report. Some officers will keep their own records of visits. I'm betting that officers do, indeed, know him and his background. He was what they might term a "regular" or a frequent flyer (although they usually use that term for one that spends time in jail often). Some will file reports to keep on record - in case something does happen. We have a guy in the neighborhood who constantly runs the stop signs and almost hit my dd and my dh is two separate incidents. We've filed reports and once he actually hits someone, well then they can do something. Messed up because this guy should be off the road! I guess much comes down to local law policies; I just don't know the answer. Maybe we can't fix the person but perhaps the answer is in how we set up protections in the school.

Sadly, what we don't have are words from his mom - what help did she try to get him? There is another brother so perhaps he's the key to figuring out what brought him to this point.

So many questions need answered but sadly, what we've learned thus far is a broken system that has failed in many ways.

Reports say that the FBI knew about N Cruz's utube posts saying that he wanted (or was going) to be a "pro school sho *** ter". That's a terrier threat, right? If they had visited his home at that point (Jan of this year), they would have seen his arr senn all of g**s.

I'm hearing that N Cruz abused his mom, who died this past fall. What a horrible situation; I don't know if she reached out for help, or not. That reminds me of the equally horrible situation in sandy hook ny.

<<The unprotected security guard/coach - this is exactly why my dh changed jobs because they weren't armed to protect the students. Pepper spray and a stick wasn't going to neutralize the threat!>>

Amen! I remember thinking that just ONE armed security guard at sandy hook could have made the difference in that situation. It is ridiculous to have a "security" guard who cannot defend those in his charge.

This post was edited on Feb 17, 2018 03:32 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat