Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

re: re: re: Box food instead of Food Stamps

re: re: Box food instead of Food Stamps

Honestly, with employment up, people getting more money in their paychecks, and many big businesses moving back to America; it's only going to get better for everyone.

Those poor West Virginians have no jobs. :( It is very difficult for them. They would LOVE to work but the economy has hurt them worse than many areas of the country. And then, hopeless, starving, and despairing, they turn to opioids, like poor people in Burma and North Korea turn to drugs. :(

That's because Dems killed the coal industry.

Uhhhhhh......that really depends very greatly on circumstances. It really depends. As the saying goes, "the devil is in the details." For some people, not much has changed, or is likely to in the near future.

I'm also interested to know what will happen in 7 years when the tax benefits to **individuals** run out. (They never expire for the corporations. Funny how that works!)

It's simple math. IF more people are needing than paying in; it can't work. It can't mathematically work. Because of the last 8 years, more and more people ( millions more) are on assistance. Dems don't want the illegals here to help them; but to get the vote. That's all they want.

M4J, hopefully we will be raptured within the next 7 years. :0)

Our business doesn't get more money in the paychecks. Individual businesses will not benefit from that. Maybe payroll tax or something? Our accountant will let us know I guess.

Sorry, I thought Blue Apron would be a wonderful thing. I wish I could afford Hello Fresh a couple times a week. I hate to cook.

This post was edited on Feb 13, 2018 07:44 PM

https://try.blueapron.com/ps_cbs/?gclid=CjwKCAiAtorUBRBnEiwAfcp_Y8ndVRPZ5c2d5azK-ZY3o-cyRnshJAD1KklqSnoNaf-CGtZ5NZ266BoCoiUQAvD_BwE

The Blue Apron looks pretty good to me. CBS Chicago said this food was cheaper than the grocery store.

A quick search showed me that in the major fraud stings, the *retailers* are the ones who gave people cash, for *less* than the value they took from the card. So fraud, when it happens, is not just on the cardholders. The card has to be run through a machine and that money transferred to the retailer.

The VAST majority of people on SNAP (which, as M4J pointed out, means supplemental) are people working one or more jobs and they can't make ends meet.

The opioid crisis is a whole 'nother ball of wax. Look to big pharma for the majority of the blame on that one, IMO.

I think I notice that those who don't "get" it haven't personally known it. :(
-------

I know this is often the case. In my case, however, it isn't. (I am not one who doesn't "get" it.) When we had three dc age five and under, we qualified for WIC (dc above 5 did not qualify). A friend at church, whose family also newly qualified for it, told us about it. Dh especially did not want to utilize it; he wanted to make his own way instead of depending on anyone else for any help of any kind.

I felt the same way until I saw the list of foods/drinks on the friend's brochure. They were very healthy items. Milk, juice (100% real juice), cereal (not junk cereal), peanut butter (not cheap store brand), real cheese (not Kraft slices), and yes, rice and beans. As y'all know, we happen to love a meal of greens, rice, beans, and cornbread. So dh reluctantly said "Yes, but only as long as we absolutely need it."

I remembered his mom's words which I have often shared here -- that when people have paid into the system, they should not feel bad when they need to use it. So we did use it for about a year or so. When the oldest dc came off the program, our newborn went on it.

We were given so much milk (for three dc), we couldn't drink it all (I breastfed our babies and I've never been much of a milk drinker myself). The other food, however, was used up, every bit, as was the juice. Our dc remained very healthy during the time we used WIC.

We still qualified for it when we came off it, but dh had been given a small raise at work and we felt we could do w/o it. We could. :) Like Blue, I have always always always been very frugal. I've never been one to buy anything we did not absolutely need. It has been very rewarding to see our dc take the same attitude.

As I shared earlier, my main concern is the *huge waste* that goes with these programs (SNAP and WIC) -- especially when families are not properly vetted (also, corruption within the program, often from workers within it taking advantage of it for themselves and relatives). While, often, those who need it most can't seem to get it. The other main issue IMHO is that of illegals taking advantage of our system to use services which were meant by law to help Am citizens.

But I'm not sure people are aware of the great difference between wealth and poverty developing in our nation - and it's alarming. We're losing the middle class while the rich get richer and the poor sink lower!
-------

Yes, this began to sharply increase during the last admin.

Dh's boss is from WV. His oldest son (same age as our oldest ds) still lives there and has worked/works? in the mines, much to his dad's dismay. His own dad (the son's granddad) worked in the mines all his life straight out of school until he retired. He made a very good living, but never wanted any of his sons/grandsons to have to do that.

The mines were mostly shut down, 'thanks' to mr oh's admin, and families all over that area have really really suffered. That region went for President Trump in a big way.

This post was edited on Feb 13, 2018 09:43 PM

I remembered his mom's words which I have often shared here -- that when people have paid into the system, they should not feel bad when they need to use it.

——————————————-

YES! YES! YES!

I agree with Gr8fl’s post 100%.

While we have never qualified or needed any gov’t program, the reason we pay into the system is to help ourselves if God forbid something happens, as well as to help our fellow Americans. As far as the abusers of the system, certainly I’d like to see them weeded out, but i also believe that what goes around comes around. It’ll come back to bite them in the butt eventually, but until it does, I want to make sure fellow Americans are taken care of in their time of need.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat