Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

re: re: re: Box food instead of Food Stamps

re: Box food instead of Food Stamps

So, I promised I would not respond anymore to threads here, but I honestly feel that I must live in a different universe of thought than some here! I think this whole idea of giving out food instead of food stamps is a horrible idea. I agree 100% with savmom. Until you experience being on SNAP of food stamps, you have no idea what it's like.

My family used to get food boxes a few years ago during a terrible time of unemployment. It came with just junk - crap that Walmart could not sell. Gluten free cereals, and lots of sheet cakes, and outdated and stale breads, and lots of processed foods like Hamburger Helper. It was awful, and we quit going. This is what the government program would be like IMO.

Food Stamps saved us. I am a good cook and was diligent about planning our meals. But always at the end of the month, our family had to buy us groceries. We got $200 a month for a family of four.

My niece gets WICC for her new baby, because even though her husband works THREE jobs now, they still struggle. WICC is a great program, but they tell her what food she has to get. For example, she is lactose intolerant but she is required to take two gallons of whole milk. She hates peanut butter and beans, but she is required to take this. She shares the food with other people. But the program helps her buy the formula her baby needs since she cannot breast feed.

These stories of cheating the system, of Cadillac driving welfare queens, of immigrants getting all the benefits of our tax dollars, might happen, but don't believe the fake news you hear. Get out there and meet the people who use the food stamps. The overwhelming number of people who get food stamps are the lower income working families.

Walk a mile in these people's shoes and you will change your perspective.

Edited to add: thank you mommy4jesus for your kind words. Obviously I feel very strongly about this subject since we once were using food stamps. I don't anymore, but the meal planning and scratch cooking became such a habit that I still feed my family this way.

This post was edited on Feb 13, 2018 05:26 PM

I don’t have food stamps but my great grandma does. Actually it’s the EBT card. This woman worked for years; her husband, my great grandfather, worked as a high school teacher for years, after serving our country on the front lines in WWII, and before being killed by an elderly driver who shouldn’t have had a license but beat the system somehow. She raised her 6 kids on a pithy income with no aid, and now that she finally gets EBT (we talked her into it and applied for it for her a few years ago), I could care less that she buys Pepsi and snack foods. Good for her. She’s almost freakin 90 years old and she’s more than earned those Tasty Cakes and soda. She wouldn’t eat the food box food, she eats very little anyway, and although we would readily buy her her preferred food if Uncle Sam didn’t, I’m happy that she gets it via EBT. Makes me feel like dh’s salary withholdings are worth it.

These stories of cheating the system, of Cadillac driving welfare queens, of immigrants getting all the benefits of our tax dollars, might happen, but don't believe the fake news you hear. Get out there and meet the people who use the food stamps. The overwhelming number of people who get food stamps are the lower income working families.
-------

Unfortunately, both are real true news -- people ripping the system off, doing as cricket's sis did, illegal immigrants ripping off citizens by getting the benefits which are rightfully due them, and other people struggling big time just trying to make ends meet with legal means.

(Ben Carson's mom always comes to mind. Her story is so inspiring. She was very unusual for her time and area, and said as much.)

It is common knowledge here that shady characters exchange liquor, tobacco, hair extensions, you name it, for SNAP cards.

As for the box food instead of food stamps (SNAP card) idea? I honestly don't know. I DO think the SNAP system needs to be fixed. The fraud needs to be Stopped, period.

I don't know how they do it, but I have been behind shoppers in grocery store lines who paid for steak, ice cream, and potato chips/junk with SNAP cards more times than I care to remember. Dh's theory is that a number of adults in one household combine their cards to be able to 'afford' all that stuff.

Stopping the Fraud would require a LOT of oversight with people on every level who are NOT corrupt, not cheating the system themselves at the expense of people they're supposed to be helping.

If a brilliant person were to set up a system of checks and balances which would enable needy people to get what they need (not believe, lol -- dh called while I was typing) while ineligible people did not, he would be much more worthy of a Nobel prize than Arafat, Carter, and Obama combined! I'd be the first to nominate him.

I don't know / see how the boxed food would work, but I give President Trump kudos for thinking outside the box (no pun intended) to search for a real solution to fix the mess we're in.

This post was edited on Feb 13, 2018 06:01 PM

One, they mentioned blue apron; isn't that like the service Hello fresh? I would think that they would be able to offer a more balanced meal options than what people could be having now.

Second, lower costs would give American citizens "more" food.

Third, my grandfather was a coal miner and received the kinds of food mentioned like rice and beans when coal miners would go on strike . Yes, unions would probably kill you if you didn't strike with them. My mom said that food was not beneathe her family.

My grandparents lived through a depression, so they were use to not having much.

I would think that those receiving would be happy to weed out illegals so that your family could receive more.
There are millions of dollars in fraud, it has to stop. Americans first

This post was edited on Feb 13, 2018 06:14 PM

re: re: Box food instead of Food Stamps

One, they mentioned blue apron; isn't that like the service Hello fresh? I would think that they would be able to offer a more balanced meal options than what people could be having now.

^^^

They "mentioned" blue apron, yes, but in actuality, it would work nothing like blue apron. "They" would box up items - - decide for you - - no choice in the matter. (TrueBlue above shared this about her niece and WIC, and I know it's true, because our former church was in the inner city; and my husband taught in another inner city.)
--------------------------------------------------------

Second, lower costs would give American citizens "more" food.

^^^

You and I and, well, just about every American out there know that it wouldn't be about lower costs once you get the bureaucracy involved. This adds MORE layers, not less. Where there is any fraud involved in SNAP (and it's not as much as the media makes it seem at all; the fraud is huge with corporations and politicians, actually), then that fraud can easily be addressed, rather than creating a new, huge system. (And to box up food and deliver it weekly, (bi-weekly?) to the WHOLE COUNTRY is gargantuan. It's laughable!!!! It's a business! Of course Trump comes up with a business idea!!! :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Third, my grandfather was a coal miner and received the kinds of food mentioned like rice and beans when coal miners would go on strike . Yes, unions would probably kill you if you didn't strike with them. My mom said that food was not beneathe her family.

^^^

Rice and beans are healthy. But #1, you don't get enough, even of rice and beans; and #2, you don't get healthy options, but packaged junk. Again, TrueBlue also shared what they actually got, instead. I'm a pastor's daughter; we've helped people over the years; and my husband as a ps teacher in the inner city was involved with the students and their families. They are not getting wonderful, healthy rice and beans or other things; nor enough for a month. It's very, very tough.

---------------------------------------------

The other sad reality is that the S in SNAP means supplemental. They're not providing enough to live on; they're assuming you have some more money for food somehow. But some people don't; or don't have enough. True, there's also WIC, but again, it doesn't completely meet all the dietary needs.

I don't have all the answers, but I have great compassion for people who are hungry. I have grown up poor and remember what it was like for my mother to stretch food, and for us teens to have part time jobs. My father worked two jobs, my mother worked part time as well. Why do we think that if someone is poor, it's somehow their fault? Jesus said you shall have the poor with you always; i.e. until that blessed day when He ushers in a new heaven and new earth, life on THIS earth is a mixed bag and everything doesn't always work out hunky-dory just because you do the right things. (Why would we think that? Job and Daniel and Jeremiah and Joseph and Mary&Joseph and many other people in Scripture demonstrate that.) Where my husband grew up, people work their fingers to the bone, as the saying goes, and get some few dollars a day. They work and they are still poor and starving.

There are no easy answers. And this food box is neither easy, nor an answer.

ETA:
And - - you can't make this stuff up! - - lest there be any doubt that this box idea is actually a business proposal, guess where Fox placed it? - - on FoxBusiness.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/2018/02/13/trump-plans-to-replace-food-stamps-here-s-how.html

Quote:
>>>The government would decide what to include based on nutrition guidelines utilized for other, existing programs, such as the Emergency Food Assistance Program, and the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations.<<<

Indian Reservations? Seriously? That is not a model to HELP people. Indians are suffering on the reservations! :(

This post was edited on Feb 13, 2018 07:34 PM

but I honestly feel that I must live in a different universe of thought than some

^^^

TrueBlue, I think I notice that those who don't "get" it haven't personally known it. :(

Of course, I'm glad they didn't have that problem! :)

But I'm not sure people are aware of the great difference between wealth and poverty developing in our nation - and it's alarming. We're losing the middle class while the rich get richer and the poor sink lower! I do not see that this food box would help at all. (It would help some already well-to-do businesses.....do even better.)

If we can get illegals off of the gravy train, there would be more for our people. With millions and millions of dollars in abuse ; something has to be done. My area is the most fraudulent with anything. Person after person buying high end food. Not because the EBT, gets them that, but because they save money with EBT that gives them more to use at their discretion.

DT is going to do something where there will be less abuse.

A county in WV. Actually called in the National Guard due to opioid abuse. They said most are on assistance. That tells me that they are somehow able to get their hands on money . If they're not working then they are selling their cards. It's easy.

Those poor West Virginians have no jobs. :( It is very difficult for them. They would LOVE to work but the economy has hurt them worse than many areas of the country. And then, hopeless, starving, and despairing, they turn to opioids, like poor people in Burma and North Korea turn to drugs. :(

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat