Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

A question for nurses

A question for nurses

First what happened then the question.
It is suspected that an RN, who has an ex husband but she is remarried for long time, has looked into the medical and psychiatric records of the ex's new female in his life.

During a fight with him on the phone, in a tirade she threw up things she knew and shouldn't know, revealing that she has violated the female's private health/psychiatric records somehow. She therefore has likely told her husband, her children, friends, and other family (who knows-can't know).

First, is it even possible for her to do this? She works at the main hospital for the area (small city).
If so, I believe she has broken HIPAA laws.
Should she be reported and to who. Health & Human Services I suppose?

And would she lose her job? Not sure anyone wants that to happen at all, but it is seems she really should be reprimanded!

I'm thinking this is likely not her first time doing this.

There may be a chance she was hoping to find something to use in custody battle or visitation arrangement.

My friend doesn't want her ruined but does feel violated and is terribly upset.

Your thoughts?
Thanks

re: A question for nurses

I'm not a nurse, but yes, she should be reported and she has broken the law. When I was working, I couldn't even give out a work number for a business from one patient to the next w/o consent.

This post was edited on Jan 23, 2018 11:56 AM

I am not a nurse. Yes, the incident should be reported to the administration at the hospital. There is probably a risk management department that handles those complaints.

I am not a nurse. Yes, the incident should be reported to the administration at the hospital. There is probably a risk management department that handles those complaints.

if there is valid concern, and the person offended wishes to take action...this should be reported to the hospital where this nurse is employed (Hospital administration, Nursing administration office, or Human Resources). Each electronic access of someone's chart/records is tracked (for instance, my employer can see every chart that I view electronically). So, if this individual has truly read someone's records, it will likely be substantiated. And, the person will be fired. Hippa violations are very serious.

Thanks for responses. She reported it to the privacy officer of the hospital.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat