Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

If you live in a cold state... (Poll)

re: If you live in a cold state... (Poll)

I think our sliders are what makes our home not able to stay warm. We're renting a two story townhome, and we're convinced the windows and slider are poor quality...upstairs windows have condensation on the inside ledges. However, the property manager has chosen not to have anyone check out the HVAC. Oh well, we did our part by mentioning we think there's an issue bc the one room will not warm up. DS is sleeping under three covers, but he'd rather do that than sleep on the couch in a warmer room.

mom2caleb,

Up here, hardware stores, Home Depot/Lowe's, Tractor Supply, and Walmart all sell a lot of products to help with insulating factors for doors and windows. I wonder if you can get those products down there, or else order them online?

M4J -- if it were our home, we might would. However, we are only here until the end of October, and I'm hoping our super cold spells will be few and short.

I see, mom2caleb! That makes sense. :) For your sake, I hope these cold spells end, too.

Another one here in New England. (I didn't realize we had some others "up here." lol)

We use wood heat mostly, with the oil as back-up. This winter has been sooo cold for so long that we have had to run both. It was TOUGH that first week before we could get more oil. 8-O

I usually keep the thermostat at 63 during the day with 60 at night, but that's mostly so it doesn't get too cold to get warm once we get the fire going. (It took all morning to raise it just 10 degrees - and we were still only in the 50's.) If we're home and the wood furnace isn't quite cutting it, I will set it at 70. That's so we can be somewhat comfortable and function in the living room. I hate the way the temp fluctuates and keeping it at 70 at least keeps it from getting too cold before kicking on again.

The wood, in previous years, has been more than enough. It's actually apt to get too warm at times, leading me to open windows and doors to let the cold IN. lol This year, it's been harder to do that. Goodness, there have been times h has had it in the upper 70's and even into the 80's, even when not "high" temps.

Our house is also not very well insulated and we have old windows, so that doesn't help with this brutal weather this year. Lots of layers AND blankets in the living room, which makes it hard to do much. Oh, well. God is still good and we are able to get through.

K

Even Mississippi is cold when you don't have heat in your house. We have some safe space heaters that we only run at night. We were loaned a propane heater that is safe to use inside. We use this first thing in the morning until the temperature in the house gets to be around 50 degrees and we use it at night after DH gets home. It has warmed up a bit lately. We are on a prepaid plan with the utility company and we like to try not to use more than $6 worth of electricity a day

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat