Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

If you live in a cold state... (Poll)

re: If you live in a cold state... (Poll)

Since a couple of other Southern ladies chimed in, I will...

We never turn our heat on. :)

The other night it did get down in the teens here, but - it was still 64 degrees in our apartment. We get that much radiant heat from the apt. below us.

Our electric bill from Nov-March runs about $60.

As y'all know, we live in the deep South (Ga), but we've had a cold state for the most part this winter. The past few winters have been unusually warm, and I didn't like that. I don't mind the cold weather as long as we can stay warm. <grin>

Dh programmed our thermostat so that it is set at 64 degrees at night during the winter. We love cool rooms when we are sleeping; we snuggle up under comforters and sleep soundly.

When we get up each morning, we turn it up to 68. The heater usually runs about an hour, then sporadically off and on during the day, not much. But it has run more this winter than it normally does, because we've had more cold weather (including snow). I was dreading this month's electric bill, but it is a good bit lower than what I was expecting. Whew! Big sigh of relief.

For those of you whose upstairs rooms are chilly, isn't that unusual since heat rises? That's what friends have told me (including those who live up north). But I'm not speaking from experience. We have a ranch home.

I live in the south, too, but we have had unusually cold weather here lately - single digits even. We have kept ours on 66 so that the heat will not run non-stop. Normally we will keep it on about 68 during the winter.

Brrrr, it's been extra-cold here (New England), because of a so-called "arctic blast" of air rushing in.

We do get sub-zero temps, 5 or 10 below zero, but they usually come overnight here or there, or last a day or two at most. This isn't the Bering Strait after all! :) But this time they lasted about two or so weeks.

We keep the house anywhere from 70-72 typically, which is a cozy, radiant heat from a wood stove. We do have oil heat, also, (baseboard heating), but we found it wasn't as cozy because once it heated the house to the set temperature, without that constant "radiance" that the wood stove produces, it felt chilly. We're in a ranch with an open floor plan, so it's not hard to keep it warm.

P.S. When dh is at work during the day, I wear warm sweats (with a t-shirt underneath) and turn the heater back down to 64, then turn it back up to 68 shortly before he gets home 'cause I know he wants to come home to a warm house after being out in the cold.

I don't have dc at home during the day like we used to and most of you do, so that is making a real difference in our electric bill. But ya gotta keep the dc warm. :)

I wear poly-wool blend socks, thick slipper/shoes, jeans, CuddleDuds top, another top, then a sweater or zippered or hooded sweatshirt.

It's so different than summer, floating around in the coolest single layers of linen and cotton! Hard to imagine! :)

M4J, I've fallen in love with CuddleDuds socks. They are the softest, most comfy I've ever worn. I'm afraid I've become quite spoiled.

I'm also in New England . It does get very , very cold here .

Our T stat is set at 60 at night, and 65 during the day no matter what the temp is.

It stays quite warm in here as we have very good windows and insulation.

I still sleep with 3 fans on and my window cracked open at night... having hot flashes can be a real pain... lol... I can see how the summer is going to go.. AC full blast until I have icicles 😬

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat