Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

If you live in a cold state... (Poll)

If you live in a cold state... (Poll)

At what temperature do you keep your home thermostat?

I know hubby is trying to save on utility bills, but he's been keeping ours set at 66, and it just doesn't feel warm enough to be pleasant. Our upstairs is especially cold. Maybe I'm being a big baby. :D

re: If you live in a cold state... (Poll)

HAHA...Florida isn't cold, but boy are we cold now. LOL! This North Florida weather is doing a number on me. We typically keep it on 68 during the day, but sometimes I'll push it up to 70 to take off the chill. I keep our bedroom at 68 at night b/c the doors are shut and it's too warm any higher. The upstairs is turned up to 73 b/c the HVAC in older DS's room isn't working properly...his room is freezing. We have no idea why.

I know that's not much help b/c Florida isn't nearly as cold as up there...but it is cold to me! :)

72 night and day. A little cooler at night would be good but we have had our power go out at night. The added warmth is for our protection.

We have big south facing windows so it is often very warm inside even on the cold days ( recently-40 actual temp).

Dh and I both have stories of freezing water in cups on our dressers as children. I used to have to scrape the frost off the inside kitchen window to watch for the bus in the morning. Whatever temps our house is now is no where near that cold!!

We keep our basement theromsat at about 70 but the upstairs rooms never get that warm in cold spells.

I’m in south Florida and my thermostat is set for the heat to come on at 68 degrees. It has been running most of the day to keep it that warm. Our homes down here aren’t very insulated, and it’s really noticeable when the cold strikes. My electric furnace can’t get my house above 70 degrees even running nonstop, it just won’t because the cement block walls keep it too cold, the air vents are on the ceiling so the hot air stays near the ceiling (designed for A/C, not heat) and an almost flat roof. I can’t wait for warmer weather.

I am working in the panhandle of Florida and freezing my pitoowey off. It has been down to 20 something at night.

My RV pipes froze so I have no water right now. I am bathing with bottled water and a towel. When I have to tingle, I hold it as long as possible so I can make it to the local McDonald’s. I guess I will have to break down and get a hotel room which I abhor. I am fearful of bedbugs and my DH saying, “I told you so” about the RV.

But, to answer your question, my house stays at 78 degrees irrespective of the weather. I have a very narrow range of cold tolerance. I am the luckiest woman in the world because DH needs the same temperature. How many woman are lucky enough To have a hubby like that!

Thanks everyone for sharing, and for the interesting stories!

I'm feeling much less whiny after reading all of your normal temperature settings. I'd say we can up the thermostat a bit. Our upstairs has the two teens' bedrooms, and I figure their rooms are something like 64 degrees?

In my teen years we lived in a mobile home. It was soooo cold in winter! Ours was older with poor windows and insulation. I can remember pipes freezing, but I don't think a cup of water on the dresser would have frozen!

I've been hearing about the cold temps in Florida. I hope things work out with your pipes, Minnie.

Minnesota, here. Overnight we keep the thermostat at 65. During the day we keep it between 67-69. It depends on how much snow we have. The more snow, the better the house is insulated and the less heat we require. This year I've been cold a lot - not much snow on the ground.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat