Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

So where have all the homeschoolers gone?

re: So where have all the homeschoolers gone?

I'm no longer homeschooling but still pop in occasionally. I've noticed that most groups have died down quite a bit. Yahoo groups are a thing of the past and forums like these seem to go in waves of little or no momentum to serges of communication. But typically the same people are talking.... nobody new.
Another change in seasons I suppose. I get nostalgic thinking of the old yahoo groups and forums that were always bustling. I feel old. Lol

I am no longer homeschooling as well. But I will pop in here and read when I have a chance and still occasionally post. Life seems to be even more hectic now than when I was HSing.

I remember the days of yahoo groups. I belonged to so many my email was flooded LOL...

But this is the place where I began my journey. Way back when Tammy and Rev Coan were here.

Those were fun times on here.

Now everything is on FB it seems. It is the sign of the times.

I'm glad you're not going away, kesa! :))) Who else can understand how yesterday I was in bare feet and short sleeves, and today, the wool socks and hoodies are on again? LOL But at least it doesn't seem like we'll have any problems with drought thank God.

M4J

I'm not going anywhere for now lol. This place is still like home to me. And so many memories .

Oh yes...our infamous weather!!! I can't believe it was 75 out yesterday, and today I'm looking out the window and we have sleet and snow.

Ahhhh...Mother Nature in New England. Gotta love it!

>>The fact that the general public is more sensitive to controversial or difficult discussion/issues in naturally going to carry over to fb and the hsing realm, especially when there are more families hsing now from a the secular mind-set. The Christian/religious reason isn't the most prevalent any longer. (Still a high percentage, just no longer the majority. At least that is what I recall from recent discussions.)
-------------------------

Bearhugs, my comment (and your reply) were a month ago now (I'm an infrequent visitor here anymore!), so I don't know if you'll see this, but....

It is true that more secular/non-Christian homeschoolers are much more prevalent now than they were in the beginning.

But it's also true that many *Christian* folks are more sensitive to controversial or difficult discussion/issues. With so many Christians nowadays who've never even read the Bible (or at least not the majority of it -- the statistics are staggering on this fact!) to know what it actually says, or worse, don't CARE what it says, many professing Christians (including "pastors") are just as guilty as the secular folks for not wanting to discuss controversial or disagreeable topics. And sadly, literally ANYTHING can become controversial anymore. :o(

The lines between Christian and secular thought have become horribly, horribly blurred in recent decades. :o(

The public is being taught by activists that their discussion is to be self censored if you don't agree with the minority of loud and vigilant activists, that is where PC speech has taken us and now microagressions on college campuses are teaching our students to hate and look at every word as suspect or even evil, all an attempt to shut down communication, nothing new here, just new technology that brow beats anyone who dare speak against big brother. You push against this by still having thoughtful conversations with people on all topics but honestly face book isn't the place to have thoughtful conversations...in person relationships are where we make impact in the world.

Great point about the Bible not being read. Many Christians don't know their shepherds voice because they have never heard it, (if you don't read the Bible you don't know what it says). And sadly this is compounded for many, when they go to church on Sunday, and in many churches the Bible is never opened and taught either, but people are mesmerized by other things cloaked in Biblical sounding speech, but not the Bible.

<<It is true that more secular/non-Christian homeschoolers are much more prevalent now than they were in the beginning.

But it's also true that many *Christian* folks are more sensitive to controversial or difficult discussion/issues. With so many Christians nowadays who've never even read the Bible (or at least not the majority of it -- the statistics are staggering on this fact!) to know what it actually says, or worse, don't CARE what it says, many professing Christians (including "pastors") are just as guilty as the secular folks for not wanting to discuss controversial or disagreeable topics. And sadly, literally ANYTHING can become controversial anymore. :o(

The lines between Christian and secular thought have become horribly, horribly blurred in recent decades. :o(>>

kayrenee, you sure said a mouthful! I agree with every word. It's really unbelievable how quickly things have deteriorated just in the last decade or two.

Re "nothing new under the sun": I know that's true in general. Still, we have seen unprecedented things in this country for the last few decades. I just finished a book by Sharyl Attkisson (a former CBS journalist and reporter) called Stonewalled: My Fight for Truth Against the Forces of Obstruction, Intimidation, and Harassment in Obama's Washington -- published in 2014.

Some of that is STILL relevant today, not only because important issues were never resolved, but also because the eff bee eye is continuing their shocking intrusion into ordinary Amer's private lives. The chapter I Spy is completely relevant today -- as recent events have shown.

Now I have her newest book here, Smear, about the msm. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

You said something about the general public, even unbelievers, having a higher standard of right and wrong five decades ago. I realize things vary from region to region, but here in what used to be the Bible belt, that lasted past that point, well into the 1980s, really. Although I think it started to change during that decade. It was the 1990s when things really started to unravel in this region.

Agree with your comments too, lizbeth. It's good to see you. :)

This post was edited on Feb 27, 2018 11:32 AM

The lines between Christian and secular thought have become horribly, horribly blurred in recent decades. :o(

^^^^

I agree with every last word you wrote, kayrenee, yet I find it (the fact of it - not your words), to be discouraging and pitiful. Why, why, why (or how, how, how) would Christians let themselves come to this point? I don't get it. Maybe there are no answers. Maybe it's just the natural progression of things through time, as we move toward the Last Days.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat