Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

So where have all the homeschoolers gone?

re: So where have all the homeschoolers gone?

Have you heard that, and what do you think about it?

^^^

Oh yes, the South is deluded; self-deluded - some of them anyway. And they can afford to be because they've got the U.S. backing them for defense. It's basically a good cop-bad cop scenario - - with the U.S. being the bad cop ready to drop b...mbs and the South being all smiley and friendly.

I will say, too, that it's very complicated considering that the way the split happened, you've got families who are separated, so it's no easy thing to say, "Fine, n......ook the North and free them," knowing that relatives will die. It's also complicated when you're Buddhist, as so many are, because then how are you going to keep the ancestors placated and how will you contact them; how will you carry out the necessary burial arrangements and so forth and so on.

I feel for them, but at the same time, I'd hate to be there, with a vicious madman miles away like that. :(

I've been praying for the North to be freed for literally years now. :(

I'm even wondering about cell phones!

It may be we have all the ingredients for 1984 already.

I mean, they've got satellites that could, if they wanted to and weren't too busy doing much more critical things like keeping an eye on eye - siss, look right into our homes.

It's my theory (just my own little thought - I could be totally wrong) :) that this will all come to fruition under the antichrist.

I've been praying for the North to be freed for literally years now. :(
-------

Me too, ever since I learned of their desperate circumstances through Open Doors ministry.

Eta: I knew your input would be valuable; you gave a great balanced viewpoint. The ancestor worship does create a whole different situation than what we typically encounter here in the West.

I'm even wondering about cell phones!

It may be we have all the ingredients for 1984 already.

It's my theory (just my own little thought - I could be totally wrong) :) that this will all come to fruition under the antichrist.
-------

Especially the 'intelligent' cellphones. The software allows for a LOT of interchange of info.

ITA with your second statement -- I think it's been in place longer than we realize. JMHO

Ditto to your last statement.

Out of town friends and I have been doing something quite novel for these days -- we communicate by snail mail! We all love getting something in the mail besides bills, it's a real treat to get a warm, friendly letter on cute stationery, and we can discuss all kinds of topics without anyone having to know.

Same thing with local friends and our regular lunches out. We've begun saving our 'sensitive' discussions for face to face conversation (another novel idea, lol). Not all of us always agree on issues, but we are able to discuss them thoughtfully and with mutual respect. Best of all, we don't have to worry about an 'older sibling' listening in. I'm sure you know what I mean.

A couple of friends and their dh's have gone all cash. They said it took a few months to get used to, but they love it. And are hoping they CAN do that for some time to come.

This post was edited on Feb 13, 2018 05:56 PM

You have a wonderful and wonderfully creative and wise circle of IRL friends! :) What a true blessing that is. :))))

Amen to that, M4J! I know I am richly blessed. :)

Shaun White won the gold tonight! The 'old man' showed up the young g -- ns who were g -- nning for his position. His back was against the wall going into the final run, but he showed everyone that he has a whole lot of life in him yet. :)

I'm not on here a lot and am a few months away from graduating.For a number of years I utilized the curriculum reviews before realizing there was a forum here!
We've homeschooled all the way through and it has been one of the greatest privileges of my life. High school has a way of sneaking up on you and before you know it, you're done!

We participated in a co-op for a few years early on, but there were too many negative issues with it, so we moved on and have HSd independently since.

When I first became a mom there were so many message boards to connect with other new moms and then, eventually homeschoolers. One board that I was particularly active on had members who started communicating through FB (which our family doesn't use) and I ended up missing a lot of information. Eventually the board closed down. And Yahoo groups dwindled down. I find it kind of sad, really, and imagine that FB is not very personal. It's the end of an era for older moms like me.

We were members of a homeschool support group for a few years and enjoyed some field trips with other families. Lots of good memories in the younger years, sniff, sniff. But then we had schedule conflicts, various changes, busier schedule and heading into HSing high school, which has taken a lot of time. (Incidentally, I have found that HSing HS is similar to the younger years except the subjects are more demanding, you need to keep good records with the future in mind--college, work, etc., being a guidance counselor is very time consuming. To me it's not been "harder," but much, much more demanding of my time...like the younger years on steroids LOL)

I imagined that when I was done with HSing I would have a little bit of time to support the younger moms. But I think HSing has changed so much and is not as "organic" as it was when I started out, so I don't know how many moms would really welcome my perspective and "wisdom."

I imagined that when I was done with HSing I would have a little bit of time to support the younger moms. But I think HSing has changed so much and is not as "organic" as it was when I started out, so I don't know how many moms would really welcome my perspective and "wisdom."

^^^

I feel somewhat the same, although I don't know that I necessarily mind, because to me, home schooling is about what works, and being flexible, and apparently, this is what the newer, younger hs moms prefer. ;-)

Also, the newer hs moms are contending with a different country and national culture and mood than I experienced both growing up, and in my early hs days. So that adds an element of change.

I'm excited to see what the Lord has for me in the future years.

LoveMyFamily - I'd be happy if you'd share with younger moms. I'm not a mom yet, but if I ever am, I DEFINITELY want to homeschool. I'm learning as many tips now as I can, so I can both use them myself and use them in helping others. ... Our family is like a living showcase homeschool family (there aren't very many in our country), so everyone asks the typical questions. Some though are becoming more serious, and asking deeper questions, so any helpful tips that are stored in our memories to be brought out at the right time is really a help. :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat