Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

So where have all the homeschoolers gone?

re: So where have all the homeschoolers gone?

Thank you, Gr8ful. I will try to find it.

It is alarming. :-/

Another thing I don't have yet is a Gmail email. :-/ But I don't know if that makes much difference.

I DO purchase a lot from Amazon, (since we live rurally). Hhmmm. Hard to be private these days.

Anyway, we are a part of a co-op that is run by our school district that we have really enjoyed, However, we are beginning to feel more and more that it is no longer homeschooling. There is no end to meetings I have to attend, and currently my ds with ADD is under so much stress from deadlines. Because of the stress he's under from these classes I see him losing his "love for learning", he's just stressed all the time. Yes, I know the ADD plays into this but I've heard this from others too, and this isn't what homeschooling is supposed to be.
I think so much vision has been lost, it's sad to see the change.
--------

I totally understand this. A lot of local homeschoolers now use a lot of coop classes too. We used some at the high school level, but that was about it.

(Like Mama Anna, I too keep hearing the song "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" in my head, re the title of this thread.)

M4J, I have a gmail email which is very inactive. I agree, it's hard to be private these days. I know some people who manage it with a LOT of effort.

I agree with ndtrasap8. I am seeing a difference with a lot of the newer homeschoolers that doesn't resemble homeschooling as it used to be or as it should be. There is a loss of simplicity and a loss of the love of learning and more stress and unnecessary complication.

Edit: Okay, this is for you, gr8fl2bHis: to the tune of "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?"

Where have all the homeschoolers gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Gone to Facebook every one
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

:)

This post was edited on Feb 08, 2018 07:37 AM

I too am happy to see Laurie-proud2bmykswife back.

Welcome!

It does sound like you are very busy and stressed. I wanted to tell you about a youtuber named Andrea Mills with 8, soon to be 9 kids who homeschools with ACE in a very small house. I know there are lots of people who dislike ACE, but in some situations where you just want to make sure it gets done, I think it is a great tool.

She has used it forever and was raised attending an ACE school. She is very well organized and seems to have a great system. I like watching her videos. She has a calming effect on me when I listen to her. Even though I am not homeschooling anyone right now due to a number of issues, I find her videos helpful and encouraging.

Yes, yes, yes to Andrea Mills!!

Glad to see another fan of Andrea Mills.

M4J, I thought you might be interested in this recent (heard over the weekend) news report -- 'intelligent' teevees are now reportedly watching the people who are watching them! Samsung and Riko (sp?) are said to be the worst/most invasive.

BTW -- I don't know if you've been watching the Olympics or not, but I saw a little bit of the opening ceremonies and was very surprised to see that the noko and soko athletes marched together (if I understood that right) and that their leaders have formed some kind of alliance, at least during this time. Have you heard that, and what do you think about it?

Last night, Chloe Kim, an American born to parents who came here from the south, only 17 years old, won the gold medal of the half pipe snow boarding event. I was so impressed with her performance -- she wowed me, and a lot of other people too. They said that it was especially sweet for her parents (who are there) because that is their home country.

A tad OT, but Shaun White sure showed out last night. The 'old man' among a bunch of young guys, whose abilities were in doubt by people "in the know" (ha ha), he really showed his stuff. We enjoyed watching him in 2010 in B.C. and he's even better now. He qualified for the event(s) with an almost perfect score. :)

(This may not post right. The page keeps messing up. Good grief!)

This post was edited on Feb 13, 2018 05:36 AM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat