Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

So where have all the homeschoolers gone?

re: So where have all the homeschoolers gone?

I agree that many of the homeschoolers are now on facebook. I am in a couple of groups, but I don't like them. They aren't the same as here. I don't post here, often, because we've been homeschooling for so long that I don't really have questions, anymore. But I do miss it here. I come to read, but rarely log in.

I much preferred posting my questions here rather than seek out local homeschoolers. Partly because I felt that the locals were snobs and exclusive (not all, but many). It was only in our later years of homeschooling that we found a wonderful group of folks to fellowship with. I do belong to a few facebook groups but they really don't compare to the here!

I just wanted to say that it is nice to see proud2bmykswife back again. It sounds like you have a lot to deal with right now.

Yes, it is great to see you back, Laurie. :)

Re the OP: I doubt I will ever become active on FB; as I've expressed before, I've had concerns due to their requirement of so much personal info, plus their security breaches.

In light of current news, a news item I saw last night really got my attention. It reported that 3 big (massive) companies have become very big-brother-ish by their intrusion into people's privacy: Amazon, Google, and Facebook. I know this stuff was bound to happen, but I want to remain as far away from it as I can for as long as I can.

oops, dp.

This post was edited on Feb 07, 2018 12:16 PM

^^^

I am not on FB, either, Gr8ful, and for the same reasons. (Yikes!) I would also love to read that article about the three becoming so interconnected as to sharing personal data, if you still have the link. ?

Thank you! :))

P.S. I pasted these article links on the home schooling side in one of the threads. They don't concern privacy per se, but they are also concerning and harmful.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/12/12/former-facebook-exec-says-social-media-is-destroying-how-society-works.html

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/11/09/former-facebook-exec-sean-parker-says-god-only-knows-what-its-doing-to-our-childrens-brains.html

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/10/13/facebooks-like-button-creator-has-second-thoughts-calls-it-time-waster.html

M4J, that was reported on FN last night; I don't remember which program. It was either Tucker Carlson's or Laura Ingraham's. I would think/hope you could find it online? I'm sorry I don't have a link.

The report did not say they are interconnected (although it wouldn't surprise me at all if they are). It just said they are the three biggest companies in the country now, and that they all three have had serious security breaches. Data was given; it wasn't speculation.

Wow, I'm actually glad I found this thread because I thought maybe I was alone in feeling these things. So much has changed. This site has been the first place I've always come to for years. I haven't posted a lot because I've always ended up finding a wealth of information and help by searching. Now I've even had to create a new user ID on here because my old one (trachexs) suddenly wouldn't work anymore.
Anyway, we are a part of a co-op that is run by our school district that we have really enjoyed, However, we are beginning to feel more and more that it is no longer homeschooling. There is no end to meetings I have to attend, and currently my ds with ADD is under so much stress from deadlines. Because of the stress he's under from these classes I see him losing his "love for learning", he's just stressed all the time. Yes, I know the ADD plays into this but I've heard this from others too, and this isn't what homeschooling is supposed to be.
I think so much vision has been lost, it's sad to see the change.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat