Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

So where have all the homeschoolers gone?

re: So where have all the homeschoolers gone?

I still come here for most of my questions. I am in a few FB homeschool groups, but to me, they lose their "personal" touch. We moved recently, and we really haven't found our niche among the homeschool groups here. It seems most of the co-ops are full and not allowing new members, so we're left for just field trips. At this point in our homeschooling, oldest DS is more concerned about finishing up high school, getting a job, and connecting with church friends. Younger DS hasn't been super pleased with past co-ops, so I'm not too worried about that either. I'm more concerned about the quality of their church friend relationships at this point in the game I think. We're having a hard enough time just getting the school work done...much less venturing out for all the "social" stuff. The boys get plenty of that through church, and they are both involved with a sports league thru a local church.

Homeschooling is changing and most of the groups are FB based from what I see...not a fan myself.

It does seem like most of those who post here are old timers like me. So we have been here awhile and have children who are close to graduation or have graduated already. Even those of us who also have younger children do not have as many questions since we have done it all before. And if we do have a question, we know where to search to find the answer. It is a shame that more younger homeschoolers don't come here with questions since there are many experienced homeschoolers here with a lot of knowledge.

It is a shame that more younger homeschoolers don't come here with questions since there are many experienced homeschoolers here with a lot of knowledge.
--

True, MamaAna! I could be wrong (?), but it seems that using forums is slightly dying out. (??) I hope not. But it seems FB is taking over from the concept of forum usage.

faithandfamily -

I agree on a couple points. Yes, there isn't quite the same support other places than what is here, nor the depth of information. And, definitely yes on the personal/sensitive aspect. There is a bit more anonymity here, which is good for some of our "red" states. Mine requires detailed info for those whose dc would be on an iep in ps, we're supposed to report learning disabilities. Frankly, I never did because his struggles were addressed naturally by being home - more time, tweaked assignments (writing), another approach, etc. I personally didn't want to be micro-managed any more than we already are. It's hard enough not to feel the pressure w/out that added piece.

kayrenee -

The fact that the general public is more sensitive to controversial or difficult discussion/issues in naturally going to carry over to fb and the hsing realm, especially when there are more families hsing now from a the secular mind-set. The Christian/religious reason isn't the most prevalent any longer. (Still a high percentage, just no longer the majority. At least that is what I recall from recent discussions.)

K

When I first came here, I was very new to homeschooling, yet, thought I knew everything. I soon found out, I had a child who was very difficult to teach. It was advice here that taught me how to teach a child with ADD-like learning obstacles. That was 10 years ago! Now she is at Liberty University doing very well. If not for this place, I cannot imagine the outcome. I have also become more enlightened about the personal obstacles people face in healthcare and more tolerant on political issues. Then, finally, I have more than been grateful for the religious teaching over the years. There are some very smart ladies here.

I wonder when one day we will sign on only to find this site is no longer here. It will be sad as there will be no way to continue the chats.

Whenever I see the title of this thread, I think of the old folk song, "Where have all the flowers gone?"

I'm not necessarily a "newbie". My kids are 7 and 9, and we've been homeschooling from the start. I've posted here and there on this site. This is actually my "go-to" site to search for ideas, reviews, and advice. I try to search for similar topics so I don't have to write a new post for each one. I also enjoy reading through the different forums here. I guess it helps me feel less alone.

I used to use WTM forum because it does have a lot of traffic. I feel like every time I ask a question, I put myself in a judgment zone. People have said some horrible things to me without knowing the whole situation. I don't think I will ever post a question on there again. It just gets too ugly.

I have always felt comfortable to post on this site, and I appreciate the knowledge and kindness that is shared. I personally try to stay off of FB because it's sucks the hours out of my life! Please know that there are some of us that are still in the elementary age "trenches", and we value your knowledge, experience, and your opinions!

Thank you!

I haven't been here in months due to life and just being busy. I've graduated 5 and still homeschooling 5. We've moved to MI and are living with my husband's parents; they are both 80, have health and mobility issues, so we are doing the yard and house work. We moved mid Sep and dh found a good job 2 weeks later.

Life is stressful parenting teens and younger plus caring for elderly parents who are showing signs of alzheimers. Fil was in the hospital twice most of Dec, transported once by ambulance and once by dh and I.

We have been relaxed homeschoolers for a few years, but with all that's going on, I need something more scheduled to keep us all on track. And I'm just tired after 26 yrs of homeschooling and quite a few stressful life events.

Laurie

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat