Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

So where have all the homeschoolers gone?

re: So where have all the homeschoolers gone?

1. Old school papers....in the garage
2. Science lab....donated to a public school
3. Old textbooks....stored in a spare room closet
4. Memories...stored in my heart.

It's sad and frustrating, though. While yes, I am on a few local FB options, there is never anywhere near the support and community I have always found here.

This place is on a much higher level of knowledge. The FB groups are mostly newbies asking very beginner questions they could easily find out on their own.

And then, if one has something of a sensitive nature, everyone sees who you are! This place is superior for hsing questions due to the years of experience, but also for those chit chat questions where you might not want the whole world to know.

Many in our area do co-op and use Facebook to keep up with each other. Texting is popular as well. Rarely does anyone call anymore. It's a ghost town on many fronts. I'm old school I guess. E- mail is slower too.

I appreciate this forum even though I rarely comment much anymore.

Michelle 32

>>It's sad and frustrating, though. While yes, I am on a few local FB options, there is never anywhere near the support and community I have always found here.
>>This place is on a much higher level of knowledge. The FB groups are mostly newbies asking very beginner questions they could easily find out on their own.
>>And then, if one has something of a sensitive nature, everyone sees who you are! This place is superior for hsing questions due to the years of experience, but also for those chit chat questions where you might not want the whole world to know.
-------------------------------------

This is what I've been seeing for a while now, too. Very sad. So many "new" homeschoolers that either a) aren't really homeschooling at all because they're doing public school at home (total conflict of interest from both a worldview and a legal perspective); or b) have either no interest, or no understanding/knowledge (not sure which) in doing real research to find out what their options are, or to find answers to the frequently asked questions. I don't know HOW many times a day or week I will see the SAME questions posted over and over again because they don't pay attention, and don't search. That happens occasionally on the web forums like this one, too, but it was never *constant* like it seems to be in FB groups.

As someone else said, it's the end of an era. Modern homeschooling is not what the veterans of the 80's fought so hard for... and that's reflected in what we're seeing on social media vs. the forums that we all became such a core part of for many years. :o(

The public-school-at-home trend (while calling it "homeschooling") REALLY bothers me. :o(

Faithandfamily, have you noticed in the FB groups that many moms are far more sensitive to controversial or difficult discussions than they used to be?

I try to check in here about twice a week now. The board doesn't move very fast. I reply less than I used to. I'm either not familiar with some of the newer materials or someone else has already chimed in with thoughts similar to mine.

I don't use FB so I don't connect there. When we made a move 4 years ago, we found a local group with good field trips and activities. We have since dropped out of that due to 2 factors: 1. Children are older and have found other niches. 2. That creepy dad that comes to most events. He hasn't done anything that I could report, but he makes me so uncomfortable that it's not worth attending the group.

Like many of the other members here, our family life is moving out of the homeschool lifestyle. My oldest graduates in May, 16 year old is in a distance learning diploma program and my 7th grader will attend public school next year. I'm more focused on my own career skills development, than the homeschool community.

I have so much valued the info and advice that has been on this forum, but it's not as important to me as before.

I very much still value this forum! I am in some facebook groups, but there is not the depth of knowledge there as it is here! Also, many homeschoolers in my area seem to be involved in groups or "clicks" for the most part. Some, but not all, are so snobby it is ridiculous! I have very few friends here that homeschool. So, this forum is important to me. I hope the administrators get their act together!

fun@home

Kayrenee,

I don't really see many in-depth discussions going on. Maybe because I tend to read hit-or-miss. My very local groups are basic questions or discussions about upcoming field trips. My state group is a little more detailed, but I rarely get involved. I do recall one post where the mom was really upset because she felt she received bad advise from others. I see a quite a few people who probably should not be trying to homeschool, or those who have questions about pulling their kids out of school, or complaints about their superintendent office.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat