Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

So where have all the homeschoolers gone?

So where have all the homeschoolers gone?

I read the post asking if anyone is manning the ship and it makes me wonder. Where are the younger homeschoolers finding support? This site is under-utilized, and another of my go-to sites seems like a ghost town, too. Maybe it's because many of the more urban areas have so much going on for homeschoolers nowadays that the newer peeps don't "need" online support as much.

Our homeschooling journey is 4 months away from being over, I'm gonna miss you guys! I'll be heading back to work, probably full time, so I will likely be here less than I am now. :-(

re: So where have all the homeschoolers gone?

online support
In my area, they are on local facebook groups for online support.
There's still wtm for non local and more updated software.

Our homeschooling journey is 4 months away from being over,

congratulations!

Facebook. That's where they are.

Another board I loved about ten years ago was bustling and happening. Now? The same mom's are there, but not many new ones. There's a Facebook page now.

End of an era in a way.

I know. My usual "haunts" are slow or the people haven't been posting. I would have to agree that fb and more local options are probably the biggest reasons. Even the yahoo groups have slowed down, at least from what I've noticed.

It's sad, really, because of the relationships and information that is available here is priceless! I know it has saved me in many ways and been such a HUGE support over the years.

K

I think FB groups and social media in general have become more popular places to look for support. Also, homeschooling is a lot more mainstream now than it was 5-10 years ago.

I'm essentially done other than helping dd with writing and literature. She does school with her best friend at her house, and her friend's mom does the tutoring/supervising in everything else. Dd wanted to do school with her bestie and we butt heads too often because we're too similar, so it's a win-win.

I've also noticed a shift. Seems like everything's on facebook these days. Too bad, as not everyone is on facebook, but that seems to be the primary way people communicate now. :\

I come here every day to see what's new. I've learned so much over the years from reading here on HSR. It's been a great support to me....thank you!!! ;)

This post was edited on Jan 16, 2018 08:19 AM

Agreeing with everybody else.....they're on FB, and in local groups. Like maryofegypt said, it's become so mainstream now. (I'm glad, because people recognize it as a legitimate means of acquiring an education; but it does sadly mean that these types of support structures are less utilized.)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat