Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

I don't make resolutions, however,

I don't make resolutions, however,

Now that the holidays are done, I'm trying to stay with $150 a week or less for groceries. I'm using less coupons only because during the holidays there are no coupon booklets and they have not had ones that I use. So far, the last 4 weeks I have stayed within my budget.

I'm basically doing an invisible envelope system. I place the money for the months groceries on one side of my wallet and my generic spending on the other side. If I am under my grocery budget for the week, I will have that much more the following week if I need it.

I'm also shopping twice a week so that rolls stay fresh and produce too. I've had to throw away too much food and I hate doing that. I don't get distracted when I'm in the store again, you have to be strong to make the extra trip and not purchases goodies.

This post was edited on Jan 15, 2018 12:13 PM

re: I don't make resolutions, however,

I use an actual envelope system for our grocery budget. Dh gets pain every two weeks, so on payday we put back grocery money for two weeks in the envelope.

I pay cash, and if I have anything left over I put it in a savings envelope. That money is there if I have something unexpected come up, but I try really hard to save it up for family fun money...little trips and so forth. That's a good motivator for me.

Way to go both of you!

Something about that visual cue that makes such a mental difference.
Love both your tips for using the envelopes. What a great motivator to roll the savings into something fun when possible, instead of the keeping it in the same category.

How do you both make it a smooth process at the checkout? Do you have any special kind of organizer, wallet, or system tips to help you keep track of the multiple envelope categories to use at the register like Walmart where it would be groceries, clothing, etc (besides making separate order for every category)?
And this invisible envelope concept? Are you using play money as your visual?
Thanks for the insight and encouragement.

Thanks! :)

My organization per store is all mental. I generally visit 3 stores each grocery visit. And I have a pretty good idea how much I can spend at each place. However, if extra things are needed a certain week, I try to mentally compensate to leave enough for the next stop.

I like your idea though about multiple envelopes. I could see having three tucked into my purse, one each for: Walmart, Kroger, Aldi. That could be extra helpful.

It's satisfying to finish the shopping for the week, and bring home a little to tuck into the "fun" envelope. It encourages me to seek the best deals.

That envelope is also where I put any extra cash I get: from selling an item, having a garage sale, or etc. We're pretty tight with our money, so its a nice way to save for little trips and family activities.

Back in the day we used spare change for trips and turnpike tolls. It seemed like it took forever to grow.. but every little bit added up and allowed us to do something that otherwise wasn't on the radar. Thanks for the reminder to find fun ways to save.

This weekend I tried to have a number in mind to spend. (super hard for my brain LOL with store music, counting the items and the kids having conversations) but it was so exciting to be 80 cents below my goal. Score! Thankfully it was only groceries so I didn't have to multi-task more than one other budget category.

I tend to buy lots of goodies( snack items). It has really helped me to budget for that much better. I have actually stayed under my $150. I'm not an impulse buyer, but if there was a good sale; I'd buy it because I'd know I'd use it. But for some things enough is enough. So far so good. Last week I only spent $110, so I now have $40 to add to another shopping day if need be.

I tend to buy lots of goodies( snack items)...but if there was a good sale; I'd buy it because I'd know I'd use it. But for some things enough is enough. So far so good. Last week I only spent $110, so I now have $40 to add to another shopping day if need be.
-------------------------

LOL. enough is enough. Sales and stockpiles and snacks.
What a great feeling to be under budget!

I realized like you, when trying to stay within my goal, that it caused me to pause and consider if what was in my hand/cart was actually needed or how much.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat