Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Chance meeting with other homeschoolers

Chance meeting with other homeschoolers

Tell me about a chance meeting with other homeschoolers.

My daughter found this boy from upstate NewYork. He is here now. He was homeschooled and he is just so pleasant to have around. We have had all kinds of kids here and it seems the homeschoolers are the best. My kids may not be the best at times but their friends that homeschool are nice to have around.

re: Chance meeting with other homeschoolers

Recently, I met some kids, and I could tell right away that they were homeschooled. This has happened to me several times in the past. I am not really sure if I can quantify what it is about them that makes me think they are homeschooled.

DD17 said there is a definite difference between the homeschoolers and public schoolers at Liberty University. Bizarrely, she gravitates to the public schooled kids. But, she states the difference is really between the homeschoolers who did not do a lot of outside extra-curricular activities. Those who did are deceivingly similar to the public schoolers and one cannot tell they were homeschooled. Sigh. But, she said the homeschoolers are academically better off, especially in writing.

Keep in mind, her assessment is based on one semester and the few people one can meet during that time.

In real life, I actually know very few hsers. But ironically, my dd’s best friend is homeschooled, although their chance meeting had nothing to do with homeschooling. But yes, they are very different than other kids I know.

A few years ago we were in the forest, hiking at a local state park. And low and behold, we ran into another family in the middle of the woods. I could just tell they were homeschoolers....all huddled around mom as they were kneeling around some interesting natural item. :)

We exchanged a few small talk remarks, then a bit later it turned into more conversation, and then we finished up our hike together.

Turns out they live less than 10 minutes from us, and we know mutual families. We're now FB friends and we see them at some local homeschool events.

On a side note about homeschoolers, in general: the coach who teaches the gym portion of our Gym and Swim class at the YMCA, said she teaches the class because she sees such a difference in the group of kids; they are all so well behaved!

Years ago, we bought a piece of vacant land with plans to build a house on it eventually. The neighbors next door came to say hello. I could just tell they were homeschoolers. The boys were so sweet and polite and they were holding their dad's hands. :-) We became fast friends. My husband ended up accepting a job on the other side of the country, and we sold the land. The mom and I stayed in touch, and when my oldest was old enough to have a phone to text message, she and the oldest boy started talking again. They are 20 years old now, and still the best of friends. He is such a wise and Godly young man. His parents did an excellent job raising their boys!

Another chance meeting- we met a family at the park outside the zoo once. We have only been there a couple times. The only reason we even started talking was because they had puppies with them. Again, I could tell they were homeschoolers. She said she could tell the same thing about us. She said my kids were too well behaved. :-) We became close friends with the whole family. They have moved away now, but our daughters are still pen pals. :)

bump :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat