3 My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord;
In the morning I will direct it to You,
And I will look up.

4 For You are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness,
Nor shall evil dwell with You.

5 The boastful shall not stand in Your sight;
You hate all workers of iniquity.

6 You shall destroy those who speak falsehood;
The Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.

7 But as for me, I will come into Your house in the multitude of Your mercy;
In fear of You I will worship toward Your holy temple.

8 Lead me, O Lord, in Your righteousness because of my enemies;
Make Your way straight before my face.

9 For there is no faithfulness in their mouth;
Their inward part is destruction;
Their throat is an open tomb;
They flatter with their tongue.

10 Pronounce them guilty, O God!
Let them fall by their own counsels;
Cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions,
For they have rebelled against You.

11 But let all those rejoice who put their trust in You;
Let them ever shout for joy, because You defend them;
Let those also who love Your name
Be joyful in You.

12 For You, O Lord, will bless the righteous;
With favor You will surround him as with a shield.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Continuing with our theme of comfort - I love the last statement concerning how the Lord will bless his children:

"With favor You will surround him as with a shield."

Does anyone have any thoughts on this Psalm or anything else that you are thinking about?

Have a blessed day in the Lord!

re: re: re: Psalm 1

3 My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord;
In the morning I will direct it to You,
And I will look up.
--------

Another wonderful psalm! :) This verse -- and many others in the Word of God which speak of people (especially Christ Jesus) seeking God in the morning (sometimes very early; David often said he "anticipated the dawn" while praying -- is (are) very special to me, because the Lord emphasized this to me a long time ago through this verse:

Jesus said, "Seek ye first the kingdom, and His righteousness, and all these things* will be added unto you." Matthew 6:33
(* daily needs He had mentioned earlier)

And this verse:

"Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word which proceeds from the mouth of God." Matthew 4, IIRC

The Lord taught me to seek Him every day, before anything else. I learned from Genesis (And the evening and the morning were the ___ day) that the day begins in the evening.

So, whether I spent quiet time with Him at night or first thing each morning, depending on our family schedule at the time, it was always precious time in His presence, receiving whatever He had for me that day.

This verse from Psalm 5 -- "With favor You will surround him as with a shield." --

reminds me of the shield of Faith, with which we can quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. That is very significant to me, because Christ Jesus is the Author and Finisher of our faith, the One who enables / empowers / equips us to overcome, to endure to the end.

The Lord has been teaching me a LOT today about faith in Him, because a close friend is going through a time of terrible tribulation, and as I have prayed for her, He has brought a multitude of scriptures to mind.

BTW, in my regular reading today I read this verse from Deuteronomy 1, about age of accountability (a phrase, like the word "trinity", which is not in the Word of God AFAIK, but the concept is taught) of young dc, something which was discussed in another thread. Rather than pull that up, I hope it's okay if I post that here.

The Lord was speaking to the Israelites as they neared the end of their 40-year time in the wilderness after being delivered out of Egypt, saying Joshua and Caleb would enter the Promised Land because they had believed Him even in the face of powerful giants, and rebuking those who were faithless, not trusting Him to do what He had promised.

About their young dc, He said this in v. 39:

"[Y]our little ones whom you said would become a prey, and your children who at this time cannot discern between good and evil, they shall enter Canaan..."

This post was edited on Jan 17, 2018 12:47 PM

"I hope it's okay if I post that here."

Of course! I offer the Psalm only as a starting point for discussion. I have no rules. :)

I enjoyed your thoughts on spending time dedicated to the Lord for the first part of your day. This brings to my mind the idea of "first-fruits." As you know, the Israelites were to bring the first crops that they harvested and offer them to the Lord (Exodus 23:19). This was a sacrifice that required faith - that God would provide more. So I think it would be an act of faith to dedicate the "first-fruits" of the day to the Lord.

I just wanted to thank those who posted this week. We had this week off from school, and this Bible study has been a great way to start my year!

I hope everyone has a blessed year!

Mama Anna, I am missing "your" Psalms, but I know you are busy now. I thought this might interest you: Remember I was wanting more info about the "Names of God", and several very good links were posted?

Well, I recently read this in Psalm 91 (which, as you know, was written to those who abide in the LORD).

V. 14 "Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will set him on high, because He has known My Name."

That really encouraged me. I hope it encourages you, and anyone else who in interested in that study. :)

This post was edited on Jan 17, 2018 12:55 PM

gr8fl2bHis, thank you for pointing to that Scripture in the Psalms. I am still reading through the Psalms although not posting as much.

The verse you posted ("I will set him on high, because He has known My Name") brings to mind:

Ephesians 2:6 "And raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus."

I often think of being raised up to the heavenly places as a future event, but a teacher recently made this verse more clear to me. God says that He has already raised us up, and we are already seated with Christ in the heavenly places.

We are in this world, but we are not of this world. Our citizenship is already in heaven, and in a spiritual sense, we are already there with Christ.

Also, many of the Psalms speak of deliverance from enemies. David experienced this in a very physical sense, as he was a great warrior and was often pursued by enemies, such as Saul and Absalom. In the past, when reading these Psalms, I didn't always feel a connection with this, as I don't have enemies physically pursuing me, trying to kill me.

But now, I am trying to be aware that I do have spiritual enemies pursuing me, trying to destroy my soul. You reminded me recently about daily putting on the armor of God because:

"Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places" (Ephesians 6:12).

We are fighting in this Spiritual realm. My "adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion," seeking to devour me (1 Peter 5:8). So I daily need deliverance from this enemy.

("And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil" Matthew 6:13).

But we are fighting a battle where the Victor has already been determined. Christ has already won the war for us. We just need to choose which side we are fighting on.

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ" (1 Corinthians 15:57).

I appreciate so much the encouragement you have given me. It is such a blessing to share what I am thinking and benefit from your insight through your studies. If you or anyone else has any thoughts on the Psalms or another subject, please feel free to share them here.

Mama Anna, it is amazing to me how the Lord is leading us in such a similar manner. The dear Holy Spirit has been bringing to my mind the truths you shared, and scriptures you quoted. I have met people throughout my life (some here) with whom I felt an immediate spiritual bond via the witness of the Spirit. You are one of those people. :)

The marvelous truth you mentioned which is taught in Ephesians is truly powerful! A preacher said years ago that the theme of Ephesians is "in Him". That's what I heard you saying in your post.

Everything We Need is found in Christ Jesus. He IS our Peace. He IS our Wisdom. And much, much more. (That first truth is stated in those words in Ephesians; the second one may be there, too. If not, it's in another epistle.)

Your post is loaded with spiritual truths which are vital. One of those truths which the Lord has been emphasizing to me lately as I put on His armor is the fact that He is Victor! (which you mentioned) His Name, Jehovah Nissi, says that He is our Banner of Victory.

Has anyone ever told you that you should be a Bible teacher? Your children are truly blessed to have you as their teacher. :)

A classic praise song called His Banner Over Us Is Love has been coming to mind lately. One verse says, "He calls me to his banqueting table; His banner over me is Love." That reminds me of the verse in Psalm 23 where David said, "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies." That has become very real to me.

That truth came to mind again when I read your post. Yes, David was a man who constantly faced physical danger, from the time he was a young shepherd in his father's fields, having to defend his father's sheep from the lion and the bear, to the time when his own mentor (King Saul, whom you mentioned) was envious of his success against pagan enemies and tried to kill him, through all the years when those pagan armies came against him time after time after time. David was not a perfect man, but he was a humble man, always inquiring of the Lord instead of running ahead of Him, seeking His wisdom and help, recognizing his own inability to do for himself what only the Lord could do.

As you said, we don't face physical danger like David did. But, as the scriptures which you quoted from Peter and Ephesians show, we face an enemy who is just as real and just as dangerous, even more so. Jesus said he comes to steal, kill, and destroy (John 10).

Thank GOD, Jesus was revealed from Heaven to destroy all the works of the devil! (I John) He came that we might have Life, and that more abundantly. (John 10) He says in Ephesians 6 that the shield of Faith is for the purpose of equipping us so that we can quench all the fiery darts of the evil one.

It struck me profoundly one day that Solomon's name means "peace". He never had to fight one battle. David had fought and defeated / subdued Israel's physical's enemies, and Solomon lived in peace -- no enemies -- every day of his life. I see a parallel there in that King Jesus defeated the devil on our behalf, and now the victory is ours as we abide in Him. (There's that "in Him" truth which is taught in Ephesians.)

This morning, the Lord emphasized to me that He is our Rest. He led me to several scriptures about that, including Hebrews 4. He reminded that He said, My yoke is easy and my burden is light. Learn of Me and you will find rest for your souls."

Glory to GOD!!! And blessings to you, dear sister. :)

Your post brings to my mind an old hymn that was my grandfather's favorite. Do you know it? It is not a popular hymn. It was hard to find a recording of it, but I found this one:

https://archive.org/details/HisYokeIsEasy-CloudnineSingers-May1986

"His Yoke Is Easy" by Daniel Warner

1 I’ve found my Lord and He is mine,
He won me by His love;
I’ll serve Him all my years of time,
And dwell with Him above.

Refrain:
His yoke is easy, His burden is light,
I’ve found it so, I’ve found it so;
His service is my sweetest delight,
His blessings ever flow.

2 No other Lord but Christ I know,