Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

re: re: Psalm 1

re: Psalm 1

Psalm 91 is one of my absolute favorites and has brought me great healing in my battle with anxiety.
--------

This is wonderful! I'm so happy for you. :) That is also one of my favorites. Very powerful and encouraging, to say the least!

To me, encouragement is comforting and comfort is encouraging. :) Just recently I was reminded that the Holy Spirit is our Comforter, and that blessed me in a very significant way. Today He reminded me that He is our Helper and I saw that in a new way I hadn't before.

Mama Anna, the Lord showed me years ago that I John is sort of like a litmus test. Over and over (at least nine times) He tells us there how to know if we are His children, or not. At the time He first showed me that, I was teaching in a Christian school and the teacher over me assigned devotions with the middle school pre-teens and teens to me.

At first that was scary, for dc of that age group are often very challenging, but that was one of the very first lessons the Lord gave me to teach them, and He really used that in a wonderful and powerful way to challenge/encourage them to examine their hearts and lives. As the Lord showed Paul, if we judge ourselves, we will not be judged.

You are so right -- the psalms were Israel's songbook! I cannot imagine how wonderful those worship services were, with songs straight from the Lord Himself! I believe we'll experience worship like that (and of course, even better) in Heaven. I can't imagine the Glory of that either, but I sure am looking forward to it! :)

Psalm 73 is a little different from David's psalms, but the reality that Asaph (IIRC) shared there is very insightful and encouraging to me. The same friend I mentioned earlier told me recently how much that psalm means to her because of her life experiences.

Psalm 2 is very powerful (the Lord often brings it to mind). It enables me to see His perspective of world events AND how powerful He is.

Psalm 3 starts out very sad (like many of David's psalms), yet he kept his focus and heart set on the Lord, completely committed to Him, come what may, and like everything else in his life, the Lord led him through it. As you said, the Lord shows us there that He leads us and sustains us through trials and tribulations as we continually seek Him.

That psalm reminds me of Christ Jesus' teaching about divided families, which I just discovered in the past year was prophesied (by Micah, IIRC). It is truly sad when parents and children are divided by their allegiance to the world or to the Lord.

As I'm sure most posters here know, I have experienced that reality in my life. It has been sad and challenging, but I am beyond grateful for the way the Lord has led me through it.

The main thing He has taught me about that (which is from the Psalms:) is "Wait on the Lord. Wait, I say, on the Lord." (keep seeking Him, keep praying, keep trusting)

And from Isaiah:

"They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings as eagles. They shall run and not be weary; they shall walk, and not faint." (KJV)

I have found that He is true to His Word. All glory to God!!! :)

gr8fl2bHis, I want you to know that everything you have written this week has been very uplifting to me, and you have given me a fresh perspective on many things. I appreciate it more than I can tell. Thank you for the reminder that Christ called the Holy Spirit our Comforter and Helper. What you said about putting on the armor of God every day is needful as well.

I also love 1 John. What you have shared has given me even more to think about. I love the passage:

1 John 5:11-13 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

There was an old man from our church who was near death, and every time my husband would visit him, the man would ask him to read the book of 1 John to him. The last time I saw him before he died, he asked me to read it, and that is such a special memory to me.

May the Lord bless everyone reading with grace and peace today!

This post was edited on Jan 04, 2018 08:31 AM

Psalm 4

1 Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness!
You have relieved me in my distress;
Have mercy on me, and hear my prayer.

2 How long, O you sons of men,
Will you turn my glory to shame?
How long will you love worthlessness
And seek falsehood? Selah

3 But know that the Lord has set apart for Himself him who is godly;
The Lord will hear when I call to Him.

4 Be angry, and do not sin.
Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still. Selah

5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness,
And put your trust in the Lord.

6 There are many who say,
“Who will show us any good?”
Lord, lift up the light of Your countenance upon us.

7 You have put gladness in my heart,
More than in the season that their grain and wine increased.

8 I will both lie down in peace, and sleep;
For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

-------------------------------------------------------
Our theme is comfort, and there are so many ways that God offers us comfort in this Psalm.

He hears our prayers. He offers relief in times of distress. We can put our trust in Him. He lights our way. He puts gladness in our hearts. He gives us peace, safety, and rest.

If anyone has any thoughts on this Psalm or anything else, please feel free to share!

I love Psalm 4:8; I used to repeat that each night as I went to bed when I was young.

Thank you so much for sharing, maryofegypt. I am going to write that verse down.

It reminds me of Proverbs 3:24. "When you lie down, you will not be afraid; Yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet."

So many times anxious thoughts are worse when we lie down to sleep. It would be good to meditate on Psalm 4:8 at these times.

This post was edited on Jan 04, 2018 10:45 AM

re: re: re: Psalm 1

Just now seeing this and wanted to comment back on Psalm 1. Our pastor just taught through Psalm 1 last night, and he pointed out that this is not a chapter full of commandments, but rather a *description* of two types of people. And *everyone* falls under one of those two categories. So it's a good way to measure what we're doing and how (or whether) we're growing in our walk with the Lord, how we spend our time, and who we're spending it with, because fruit doesn't lie. Apples don't come from banana trees.

We're going to be going through several Psalms over the coming weeks. I didn't think I'd be excited about it because our former pastor (the church we left in August) spent MASSIVE amounts of time on the Psalms Every.Single.Week (over about three years) trying to justify his legalism and judgmentalism, and perpetuity of the OT Laws (minus animal sacrifices). But the footnote in my Bible for the word "law" in Psalm 1 says it simply means "instruction". And I really enjoyed our new pastor's take on it last night. I'm hoping I can once again be reminded of God's grace and beauty in the psalms, of praise, prayer, and worship, and even of some of the prophetic psalms of the Saviour, and His steadfast love for His children.

kayrenee, it's great to 'see' you again. You've been missed. :)

maryoe, I love Psalm 4:8, too. It is very special to me. The Lord often brings it to mind just when I need it.

Mama Anna, Thank You for your kind and encouraging words. The glory goes to the Lord, for I'm only passing along what He has taught me.

Psalm 4 became very special to me when I was experiencing chastisement from the Lord years ago during a very difficult time in my life. The Lord spoke to me very strongly and sweetly to me through it, encouraging me to get back on track with Him, seeking Him always in all things. I have never ever forgotten that.

The story about the old man and I John is simply amazing. The scripture verses you cited from Chapter 5 were emphasized by a pastor I knew years ago, and they still bless me today. There are churches and whole religious groups who say we cannot know if we have eternal life, but the Lord plainly says that we can. :)

Today the Lord brought this verse to mind, and I thought I'd pass it along. I hope it will bless you and others as it has blessed me since the reality of this promise filled my heart and mind with overflowing joy from the Lord.

For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect [completely committed] toward him.
2 Chronicles 16:9 (KJV)

Oh, and I've been meaning to tell you, the scripture you cited from Philippians 4 earlier in this thread has also been a special blessing in my life. Years ago, I heard a sermon based on those verses, that precious promise blessed me beyond description, and I shared that with my MIL who was a classic and constant worrier.

Even though she and I were very close, I spoke with trepidation, not wanting her to think I was trying to correct her in any way, only to encourage her. Thankfully, she received it that way and that scripture changed her life! That's the power of God.

Ever since then, the Holy Spirit continually brings that verse to mind, always reminding me to pray about ALL things and worry about NO thing -- the only way to have His peace which passes understanding.

He also reminds me that Christ Jesus is the Prince of Peace (Isaiah -- Thinker quoted that verse recently), and His written word also tells us that Jesus IS our peace (Ephesians). What powerful and precious words!!! Words of Life. :)

This post was edited on Jan 05, 2018 01:47 PM

kayrenee, I agree that it is great to "see" you again. I have missed you, too! This is beautiful insight that you shared: "I'm hoping I can once again be reminded of God's grace and beauty in the psalms, of praise, prayer, and worship, and even of some of the prophetic psalms of the Saviour, and His steadfast love for His children." I am also thankful to be reading through the Psalms and could not state it better than you did.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat