re: re: Psalm 1

Psalm 1

[Psalm 1 NKJV]
Blessed is the man
Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
He shall be like a tree
Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.
The ungodly are not so,
But are like the chaff which the wind drives away.
Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment,
Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,
But the way of the ungodly shall perish.
--------------------------------------------------
It is the new year, and I thought I would try something different - a less controversial Bible topic.

I have started reading through the Psalms, and they are so encouraging to me. The Psalm above reminds me that I need to spend more time thinking on God's word and less time with negative influences and trivial matters.

I know a lot of members here have gone through a lot this past year, both good and bad.

I guess the biggest change for me this last year was that my first child left the nest. I think the hardest part was before he left - dreading the changes. But it hasn't been as bad as I imagined. I do worry about him more than I should, but he keeps in touch.

So what are you reflecting on from the past year? What are your hopes for the new year? What are you doing today? Do you have any thoughts on Psalm 1 or any other Scripture that you have been studying?

re: Psalm 1

I love the Psalms! Many scriptures from the Psalms come to mind regularly and some have become a regular part of my prayer life. A dear friend was going through a devastating fire in her family several years ago, and I encouraged her to read the Psalms, because they've been such a tremendous blessing to me through the years of my life in Him.

She told me a few weeks later that she had read many of them each day (she said she just couldn't stop! :), the Lord was ministering to her powerfully, and her whole attitude had changed from despair to hope and peace and joy. The Joy of the Lord is Very Important because the Lord says it is our strength. :)

The Lord led me to Psalm 1 yesterday! :) It was a wonderful scripture with which to begin the New Year. As I meditated on it, I realized that I could use the "Word" for "law", because now we have the complete, fulfilled Word from the Lord. Either way, it has the very same meaning as it had for David.

The Lord taught me during this past year a wonderful new way to pray (with His Word). He has led me in this before, but He has added a whole new dimension which has shown me more than ever the value of His Love, Truth, and Power. As I have done this, I have seen Him do amazing things in my life and my family, and I've also seen Him do marvelous things in situations which had caused pain before.

My commitment to Him for this year (and the future, realizing Christ Jesus could come any day) is to abide in Him more and more as He leads me by His Spirit, to love Him more and more and to love others more and more as He loves us.

Yesterday morning, He encouraged me by bringing to my remembrance that wonderful scripture found in Lamentations where (right in the middle of severe devastation) Jeremiah realized that The Mercies of the Lord are New Every Morning! That was such a Blessing.

This morning He encouraged me by reminding me of the scriptures found in I John (chapter 5, IIRC) in which He tells us that

If we pray according to His will [He has revealed His will to us in His Word], we know that He hears us (!), and

If we know that He hears us, we know that we have what we've asked for. (! again)

So I wanted to pass that wonderful word of encouragement along to everyone here, including you. God bless you, Mama Anna, and give you an ever more precious, glorious, and marvelous fellowship with Him, for your consistent witness of the Truth and Power of His Word. You encourage me greatly. :)

Closing with this wonderful scripture which is always an encouragement to me:

Christ Jesus said,

If you continue in My Word, you shall be My disciples indeed. You shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall make you free. (John 8)

gr8fl2bHis, it is no wonder that we get so much encouragement from the Psalms. This was the Hebrew "Songbook." I don't know if there is anything more uplifting than a spiritual song.

I appreciate your insight into the Scripture you mentioned in 1 John 5. I have looked it up and want to study it more. If you have any more insight to add on that topic, please do! I would be very interested to know what you have been studying along those lines.

Since it is a new day, I will quote a new Psalm:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 2 New King James Version

1 Why do the nations rage,
And the people plot a vain thing?

2 The kings of the earth set themselves,
And the rulers take counsel together,
Against the Lord and against His Anointed, saying,

3 “Let us break Their bonds in pieces
And cast away Their cords from us.”

4 He who sits in the heavens shall laugh;
The Lord shall hold them in derision.

5 Then He shall speak to them in His wrath,
And distress them in His deep displeasure:

6 “Yet I have set My King
On My holy hill of Zion.”

7 “I will declare the decree:
The Lord has said to Me,
‘You are My Son,
Today I have begotten You.

8 Ask of Me, and I will give You
The nations for Your inheritance,
And the ends of the earth for Your possession.

9 You shall break them with a rod of iron;
You shall dash them to pieces like a potter’s vessel.’”

10 Now therefore, be wise, O kings;
Be instructed, you judges of the earth.

11 Serve the Lord with fear,
And rejoice with trembling.

12 Kiss the Son,lest He be angry,
And you perish in the way,
When His wrath is kindled but a little.
Blessed are all those who put their trust in Him.

-----------------------------------------------------

There are so many great things about this Psalm. Verse 7 is quoted in many places in the New Testament (such as Acts 13:33; Hebrew 1:5; Hebrews 5:5).

This Psalm reminds me of the hymn, "This Is My Father's World" which states:

"This is my Father’s world:
Oh, let me ne’er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong,
God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father's world:
Why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is King; let the heavens ring!
God reigns; let the earth be glad!"

The last line in the Psalm speaks to me: "Blessed are all those who put their trust in Him."

This is a great reminder for me, personally - that I will be blessed if I simply put my trust in Christ. I know I spend too much time in worry and not enough time in trusting Him.

[Philippians 4:4, 6-7 NKJV] 4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! ... 6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

I hope everyone has a blessed day today. I am enjoying a few days off!

All of the Orthodox services and daily prayers are full of the Psalms. The ones I have been able to memorize just from exposure are a great comfort.

Maryofegypt, in this thread, I have been using the word "encouraging" to describe the Psalms, but your word "comfort" is really a much better way to describe it.

As it says in the 23rd Psalm:

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Yes - comfort is the first word I think of with Psalms. :)

Psalm 91 is one of my absolute favorites and has brought me great healing in my battle with anxiety.

Maryofegypt, thank you for referencing Psalm 91. Reading it has blessed me today! I have put it at the top of my favorites so that I can refer to it often.

Psalm 3 New King James Version

A Psalm of David when he fled from Absalom his son.

1 Lord, how they have increased who trouble me!
Many are they who rise up against me.

2 Many are they who say of me,
“There is no help for him in God.” Selah

3 But You, O Lord, are a shield for me,
My glory and the One who lifts up my head.

4 I cried to the Lord with my voice,
And He heard me from His holy hill. Selah

5 I lay down and slept;
I awoke, for the Lord sustained me.

6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people
Who have set themselves against me all around.

7 Arise, O Lord;
Save me, O my God!
For You have struck all my enemies on the cheekbone;
You have broken the teeth of the ungodly.

8 Salvation belongs to the Lord.
Your blessing is upon Your people. Selah

-----------------------------------------------------

David wrote this Psalm when he was fleeing from his son Absalom. This strife and estrangement from his son must have been extremely difficult for David. David loved his son, and when Absalom was killed, he said:

“O my son Absalom—my son, my son Absalom—if only I had died in your place! O Absalom my son, my son!” (2 Samuel 18:33)

I think Separation is one of the most difficult things to deal with in this world (if not the most), and it takes on many forms:

Strife and estrangement with loved ones (as with David and Absalom), death, children leaving home, miscarriage, divorce, dementia, loneliness...

This Psalm reminds us that the Lord is our Shield (verse 3), our Sustainer (verse 5), and our Savior (verses 7-8) through trials of separation.

Of course, separation from God is the worst circumstance of all. But thanks to God for reconciliation through Jesus Christ our Lord:

Romans 5:10-11: 10 For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. 11 And not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation.

If you have any thoughts on this Psalm or any other subject, please respond.

I hope you all have a blessed day.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat