Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

New Year's Eve

New Year's Eve

What do you all like to do? Any great plans?

We always stay home with the kids. We have snacks, play board games, and watch the ball drop. Although the last couple years, dh has gone to bed before then. He's not someone that can stay up late easily. Ha!

re: New Year's Eve

It's almost always been do nothing but be home and maybe have fancier food and such. some stay up till midnight. me??? It will be new year when I wake up. happy new year breakfast. never did much as a kid. not socialites. so it was a be home thing for me then and now.

This year however, the local autism support group is hosting a whisper in the new year early evening event. kid/family/sensory friendly. short party. and everyone can be home before 9 pm kind of thing. That's near us and we're ASD family, so we're going to try that just to have something to do.

Our best family friends growing up were Puerto Rican, and their custom (don’t know if it was cultural or unique to their large family) would have an enormous party complete with illegal fireworks. They even had an in with the local police and we would actually have in-uniform cops stop by and grab a plate a food. There were years I remember going home as the sun was coming up, after having fallen asleep multiple times on a couch or bed for short stints of time. They would celebrate the new year at the top of the hour for each time zone, toasting each one. There would be lots of Latin dancing - which is where I first learned to dance LOL.

Funny side - dh’s first appearance at this party was about an hour after he proposed to me- on New Year’s Eve 1999. He seemed more in shock from that experience than the actual proposal LOL.

Those days are long gone now. We have a comparatively simple new Year’s

Edited bc I accidentally hit the submit button! Our New Years eve’s are usually pizza, some fireworks, a little toasting, then a movie or something. We sometimes make it to midnight, sometimes not. Oftentimes midnight will arrive in the middle of a movie, and we pause it long enough to well-wish and then back to regularly scheduled programming.

This year will be different. We are in NOLA, and will be celebrating here. It will be a little like the parties of yesteryear, and I’m looking forward to it. Perhaps some new year beignets? Man, I love to celebrate.

Im not sure what exactly my parents were thinking going all in on those parties growing up. It was crazy, sometimes a little dangerous, and totally counter to the way they lived their lives the other 364 days of the year. But truth be told, I do miss the old days sometimes.

This

This post was edited on Dec 29, 2017 09:06 AM

We are staying home.
My son is coming over, so we will have food and drinks .

We bought the board game "What The Meme"(it's like Cards against Humanity)...it is supposed to be a real hoot.

I won't make it to midnight though LOL

My folks will be here as usual - we are going to make homemade pizza for dinner and will probably play games. I doubt I'll make it to midnight.

My boys go out to party with friends after we go to bed.

It’s too cold to do much of anything. Well hunker down under blankets and sleep. It is time to hibernate.

We have an enormous fruit platter (and a few other snacks), let all the kids stay up, and play games. We've done it for a number of years now and the kids all look forward to it.

I just realized I am off work. I guess I will make black eyed peas and sleep.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat