Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Too Cold for Clothesline?

Too Cold for Clothesline?

How cold is too cold to hang out clothes to dry?

Any clothesline uses still out here??

Anne

re: Too Cold for Clothesline?

I only line dry outside when it's warm enough for me to be comfortable out there. :D I use indoor drying racks otherwise.

I do know some people let clothes freeze dry on the lines!

I'd go with the indoor drying racks this time of year where I live and use my dryer....

but I'm enjoying this article about line drying clothes outside in winter. You may enjoy some tips in there

http://www.ecobabysteps.com/2013/01/05/line-drying-clothes-outside-in-winter/

(and this article seemed to have some other tips about the balance of temps/humidity, etc. to figure it out in your locations)

This post was edited on Dec 29, 2017 08:47 AM

Well, Laura's mother, "Ma Caroline," of the Little House on the Prairie books, hung her clothes outdoors, taking them in board straight and stiff to thaw. :)

That said, so long as I have a dryer, I will use that instead of risking frost nip outside. :) (But we live where it gets really dangerously cold, whereas if I lived somewhere milder, I wouldn't mind. I don't know where exactly you are....)

There's also the option of using an indoor clothes drying rack. I have two gigantic wooden ones that dry things in a jiffy, because of the furnace, and the wood stove. Maybe you could go for that option? I know many Europeans dry that way.

I live in the southeast. This morning when I posed the question it was in the 30s, which is frigid for this area. By mid day it was 50+ with a very nice breeze...and my clothes are about dry.

I may have overreacted a bit to the cold. I grew up in the north and today, in retrospect, I had forgotten my roots! :)

Thanks for the help and I will keep in mind the suggestions if it gets really, truly, cold!'

glad your temps warmed up a bit there.

looks like I went to edit my earlier post and forgot the link to the other article I enjoyed
http://grist.org/living/ask-umbra-can-i-line-dry-my-clothes-in-the-winter-too/

anyway, it got a little warmer here too. and I managed to get outside and get some yard work done. sunshine and no breeze.
starting thinking about this thread while in my hat. Then wondered why didn't the little prairie house have a fireplace to use to dry the clothes? didn't it have a fireplace for cooking? why not dry the stuff indoors in winter then or would it have froze?

then I decide who cares about that and finished cleaning the street drains of leaves and came inside for looking at beach web cams. :) edit for the jaw drop: you mean some fool is in the gulf? at pineapple willys at PCB? brrrr.... and down at holiday inn too. well it is in the mid 50s at pcb, so ok. I'm in the 40s and doing yard work.

This post was edited on Dec 29, 2017 01:51 PM

I wouldn’t dream of hanging clothes out on a day like this. -15 and dropping with a light snow. I have gone outside with wet hair, it froze. When I came back inside my hair was stiff but as soon as it warmed up it was dry.

I quit hanging clothes outside when they don’t dry in about 2 hours.

LOL cbollin, I know one of the reasons was space. Some of those frontier dwellings were just way too small. There must be other reasons, too.

“'Curiouser and curiouser!' cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English)."

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat