Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Cutco knives?? NOT SPAM LOL

Cutco knives?? NOT SPAM LOL

Does anyone have any experience with these? If so, what is your opinion of them, quality-wise?

I ask bc I just inherited a set, and I have knives, from Target, hat I got for my wedding 16 years ago. I will get rid of one set since I don’t need two, but I’m trying to figure out which one goes. I know cutco is expensive, but at the same time, my trusty (but regular cheap set) knives have served me well. I don’t want to get rid of something only to find out the new something or other isn’t worth it. I also have no idea if my old knives are considered sharp anymore. Really. I mean they cut what I need them to cut, but if someone experienced in knife sharpness visited me, they might laugh me out of the ballpark. I have no idea.

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer!

re: Cutco knives?? NOT SPAM LOL

We purchased an expensive set of Cutco knives quite a few years ago, because a friend was selling them, and they made it seem like a great investment. Once we got the set, we quickly realized our Chicago Cutlery knives were much better knives, so we sent the Cutco back, and got out of the deal. I'm not saying they're bad knives, but just sharing our experience. I suppose if you have them there to compare, just keep whichever one you like better. Maybe keep your old knives in storage for a while until you know if you really like the Cutco ones. We've always loved our Chicago Cutlery, and have found them to be excellent quality, but that's just our preference. ;)

I suppose if you have them there to compare, just keep whichever one you like better

yep.

I got cutco over 27 years ago as wedding gift I think. still like them. never had anything to compare, and no need to replace. I don't know if I would have picked them on my own or not. I sure do like those kitchen shears.

I'm so ready to find a ginsu commercial on youtube. LOL. oh wow.. you mean the original set in 1978 with the vegetable peeler was only 9.95? LOL. and a 50 year guarantee! wow that hasn't expired yet, has it?

but wait, that's more
there's Ginsu 2 "finer than our german knives?" LOL.

I have a set of Cutco because I did need knives and my friend's daughter was selling them at the time. They are made in the USA and they are located one county over from where I live. They sharpen them for free if you mail them to them and then they send them back. We do support local businesses, so I was happy to buy them from her.
They are super sharp. Be very careful. My other friend's daughter ended up in the ER because she sliced her finger and she knows her way around the kitchen well.
The one con that DH and I have about these knives is the handle balance. Do not just drop these knives in the hot soapy water to be fished out and washed later. We noticed that when dropped in the sink, these knives always end up sharp side up. So, wash them right away and put them in the rack to dry.

Those shears are sharp. I watched her cut a penny in half and then cut through fabric with no pulls or dullness. Kinda like a ginsu commercial.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the responses. Will test the cutco ones I was given and see how they compare to my old ones. Will update later. Thanks!

This is a tad bit off the subject of the OP, but this thread reminded me of the Consumer Reports mailing I received this past week, in which a Ginza set of knives was given an outstanding rating.

I've never heard of Cutco knives. But it sounds like they are very good. Let us know how your 'experiment' turns out. :)

I love my Cutco knives! My parents have had them for years, while I was growing up but I didn’t get some until a couple years ago. I didn’t realize how bad my knives were until I started using the
Cutcos. They are really sharp and sturdy. I believe they have a lifetime guarantee?
Like others have said, try them out and then decide.

Ok well now after all these positive reviews, I am seriously looking forward to getting home and trying them out!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat