Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

HSR friends: WARNING ya'll, about spam

HSR friends: WARNING ya'll, about spam

I could be entirely mistaken, and this might be a complete coincidence, but two days ago on the other side I was replying to a post and OUT OF THE BLUE my screen switched to something - I didn't even have a chance to know what because my Norton security IMMEDIATELY blocked the horrible, dangerous attack. (I know it was an attack because my Norton told me and even had the IP address of the attacker, etc. etc.)

I've never, ever in my life here on HSR had that happen, never. And I've been coming here for years.

Could be a coincidence.....but I don't know. Scary.

re: HSR friends: WARNING ya'll, about spam

Oh I thought it was just me!!! It happened to me too while reading the HS side (I was logged in).

My guess is was an ad based attack by the info generated when Norton blocked it.

I turned my AdBlock Plus back on and it's blocking 28 items at the moment :P

You would think the moderators would be on top of this. This is the second time this side has had numerous bogus posts.
But can't say I'm surprised .

Omg, I just looked at the adds, dating?!😲 so not hsr. They need to fix that and fast, creepy!!! I’ll look back in the new year.

M4J, I have Norton security too. But I haven't seen anything like that. However, I have experienced a weird thing a time or two when I tried to click on a thread and an ad popped up instead. At those times I just clicked the Back button to get back to where I wanted to be. I haven't seen the Norton warning you've mentioned.

What is AdBlock Plus? Is that free? Does Norton have an ad blocking service? If so, does it cost anything? As you can see, I don't know much about this.

I see ads on this page, but they're all ads for h/s products. Should I be concerned about that? Is it better not to see any ads at all?

P.S. After I posted this comment and was returned to the main page, I saw an ad for collision repair -- not h/s related. Then when I reloaded the page, I saw an ad for a children's hospital -- again, not h/s related. Should I be concerned about this?

This post was edited on Dec 27, 2017 12:37 PM

Gr8ful,
I don't know to what extent to be concerned, though I do think that having a really good security system such as Norton should be sufficient. :)

I don't like knowing that "attacks" might happen at a place I like to visit frequently, but otoh, I feel fairly reassured with something in place to block them.

I'm sorry I don't have more specific tech-y advice. I don't know much about these things, either.

It's wonderful you have Norton. It's obviously doing a good job even preventing something popping up like what happened to me.:)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat