Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Iron Deficiency Anemia- vitamin recommendation

Iron Deficiency Anemia- vitamin recommendation

My dd was diagnosed after lab results. ( Very low ferritin and borderline iron) She just completed a 3 month iron supplement therapy, and her pediatrician said she can stop the supplement now, because her numbers are back within normal range.

She discussed the importance of her eating iron rich foods. However, I got to thinking later that it might be helpful to have her take a multi vitamin with iron... hoping to help her not slip back to anemia.

Is there a good brand that anyone would recommend? Something without artificial colors and questionable extra ingredients.

Thanks!

re: Iron Deficiency Anemia- vitamin recommendation

Yes.

I was taking Rainbow Light One a Day Prenatal.

It has the extra iron and Folic Acid in it. And it is food based so gentle on the stomach.

Thank you for the recommendation!

more important than taking a multivitamin is having sufficient Vitamin C in the diet, every day. Vitamin C is necessary for the absorption of iron in the gut. Eight ounces of Orange Juice daily, or 500 mg Vit C daily should do the trick. Don't ever stop. we all need Vit C.

Thank you for the advice, MB!
That's helpful!

I was always told to watch when you have calcium compared to when you have iron rich food. (while vit C helps with iron absorption, calcium interfers) maybe you can ask a medical provider about that aspect since I'm only repeating what I've heard in life and ain't a doctor and don't play one on the internet either. I have no idea if it's true or not.

I'm a dietitian :)

Calcium will interfere with absorption, so avoid taking the supplements with milk, yogurt etc.

Like MB said, Vitamin C will increase absorption, so orange juice is great for increasing absorption of iron supplements. Absorption will also increase if she can take it on an empty stomach, with a little juice, but most people get GI distress doing that. Look for iron that is a ferrous form...splitting your iron supplement and taking it in two or three doses spread out over the day will also increase absorption and it will help with GI upset if that is a problem.

Excess fiber can also interfere with absorption, as can tannins. Tannins can be found in chocolate, tea, beans and nuts.

Also, you might try to figure out if there is a reason her iron is low (maybe you already know why) For instance, if she has stomach issues and is taking medication (nexxum, prilosec) that decrease in stomach acidity can decrease absorption.

That does sound right, cbollin. I'm pretty sure her iron supplement paperwork stated not to take her tablet within a couple hours of having cheese, yogurt, etc.

I appreciate the reminder! That would have been something I pushed to the back of my mind.

Now that I'm thinking about it...take cereal for instance...many are fortified with iron and vitamins. So, if one has the cereal with milk, I wonder if they are getting any iron benefit at all?

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat