Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

So HomeSchoolers Cut Out of Tax Bill

So HomeSchoolers Cut Out of Tax Bill

Of course, they were. I wish I had known about that provision. I would have written my senators and representative.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/12/20/ted-cruz-shameful-democrats-cut-homeschoolers-out-tax-subsidy

re: So HomeSchoolers Cut Out of Tax Bill

I'm sure that home schoolers who currently have complete privacy and autonomy in places like Texas are pleased. This sounded like a backdoor entrance to control of the ONE area of education currently (least) controlled. I was never pleased with this provision and think their being cut out is not a problem.

Here's another article about this topic . (Dec. 8)

https://www.hslda.org/docs/news/2017/20171208_ESA_529_plans.asp

I agree in that I am glad it was cut out. Hsr's do not need any more government intrusion into how we educate our children.

Trying to include "homeschoolers" would be almost impossible, as the majority of states don't have requirements for parents to interact with the state such that there would be a way to prove that they are homeschooling.

Good points. I never thought of these. But, really, we never got a tax break anyway so we won’t miss it, right?

>>Trying to include "homeschoolers" would be almost impossible, as the majority of states don't have requirements for parents to interact with the state such that there would be a way to prove that they are homeschooling.
------------------------
This is a good point that I hadn't thought of. But I do think that (without realizing it) that's the reason I wasn't worried about it being included (as far as privacy concerns go). HSLDA helped write that provision with Senator Ted Cruz. As the link that Crystal posted explains, this provision would've merely allowed us to use our OWN money that we'd presumably ALREADY have set aside for college (for those of us who actually had/have 529 plans) for *current* homeschool expenses. It wouldn't have been "additional" funds from the federal government. It would've given us, I guess if you want to call it a "tax break", just sooner than we would've gotten it for college. Our own money that we already had set aside. A lot of people don't understand that.

From the HSLDA article: "HSLDA strongly opposes any federal funds for homeschoolers. We have vigorously opposed past attempts to give federal money to homeschool families, and will continue to do so.

HSLDA supports efforts to treat homeschoolers fairly. Many families use and love their 529 plans, which allow them to save their own money for use in higher education. Congress is expanding 529 plans to include K-12 public and private school expenses, and we had hoped homeschool families would have been permitted also to use their 529 plans in this way, if they wished. This is what Senator Cruz’s amendment would have done, and why HSLDA supported it."

Key words there being "their OWN money" ... "to use THEIR 529 plans in this way" ... "if they wished".

But it doesn't matter now, anyway.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat