Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

re: Need BIBLE suggestions for teens

Need BIBLE suggestions for teens

I am going to purchase new KIng James Bibles for each of my children. Girls ages 14 and 16, and a boy aged 12.

I am hopelessly undecided about all the options. I want King James for sure. But do I get a Study Bible? A Reference Bible? A woman or teens Bible for the girls? I'm at a loss.

What do your teens like?

I'd prefer to get them a NON-study Bible along with this commentary, if they wanted to research a verse more here and there:
https://www.christianbook.com/believers-bible-commentary-second-edition/william-macdonald/9780718076856/pd/076856

A copy of Vine's and Strong's would be good,too.

All of this is free online nowadays, if they're inclined to research things that way. (Most teens are very internet-savvy and prefer to study things that way, if at all possible.) :o)

I'm not at all a fan of study Bibles, which by their very nature tend to elevate some man's thoughts to the level of Scripture - not deliberately, of course, but by default, since their analysis and thoughts and interp is right there on the page to be read along with the Bible verses.

I also don't feel it develops strong Bible study and interpretation skills.

JMO

Thanks M4J. I think like you... I've never had a study bible. Just a plain old bible and a concordance! I don't usually read commentaries, but I probably should. What do you like best about the commentaries you mentioned versus others?

This post was edited on Dec 06, 2017 04:19 PM

M4J,

What are your thoughts on Reference Bibles?

re: re: Need BIBLE suggestions for teens

Do you mean like the Thompson Chain Reference Bible? Or center-column reference Bibles? etc.?

They usually just have extra maps and cross-referencing verses; they don't exhaust the possibilities, but provide a very good start.

Is that what you're considering?

I rarely, rarely reference a commentary, but do very occasionally. That one is quite conservative and I agree with it almost entirely, which is why I happened to share that link. Matthew Henry's is also good, but it's a bit much, IMO, for a teen, and I find that sometimes he says (IMO), more than even needs to be said. But who am I to say a word about Matthew Henry? :)

I guess I was thinking of the center reference type. I have a bible like that and I love the references, especially the Old Testament Prophesies that are referenced in the New Testament.

Ahhh... Matthew Henry. That's the name I was trying to come up with. He's good from what I've heard from friends who read his commentaries.

I will probably get them each a KJV Bible with center reference. I was going to order from CBD but I think I'll go down to our local Christian Bookstore (such a rare breed these days) and really look and hold and fall in love with what I buy :)

I may just buy the Matthew Henry Commentaries for myself and the one you mentioned for my teens!

Mathew Henry is NOT what I would give a teen. no no no. VERY HEAVY (great for an older student, college age, etc).

I agree with a commentary. Talk with the folks in the Bible bookstore or read reviews on Amazon.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat