Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Gift ideas for college age guys

Gift ideas for college age guys

Our son doesn't "need" anything. We are not much into electronics (and besides, he has 2 computers and a smart phone), he plays saxophone, he likes writing music, he enjoys action movies. I usually get gift cards for favorite restaurants & stores, a DVD or board game.

I've got a good book in mind, and I've gotten him a pullover sweater. He likes tasteful but funny tshirts (so if you have a website to share...) Last year I got a tshirt that has A Tale of Two Cities printed on it (in it's entirety!). I'm thinking of something for his car, but he doesn't need anything like an emergency kit since he doesn't drive long distances. He does enjoy disc golf so maybe I could get a carrier or something.

Any outside of the box ideas? I stink at gift giving.

re: Gift ideas for college age guys

My college age son asked for another coat of the style/brand/color he prefers (Colombia).

Is there anything you can get him that's related to his career goals?

We started getting him things for his first "place." Last year, ds was starting to build a tiny house. I found a set of dishes for him. He's tucked them away, but he has them. I was thinking about a set of towels this year. If he goes to college in the fall, like he's planning, then he can use them there as well. I know it's not very exciting, but to do some little things like that a bit at a time, it's not so tough when they do move in to their own place.

Maybe some thoughts toward the future, not w/ everything, but it does help with ideas.

K

does he live at home or commute?

we got all four of our kids laser printers for their dorm rooms/apartments. It was a welcome gift so they didn't have to make copies at the university library.

wool/blend socks from LL Bean are always welcome, esp for winter hikes across campus.

My sons were cyclers in college...and weight lifters....they also enjoyed skiing (downhill) so we bought them a lift ticket for one admssion (if you are affluent, you can buy a season pass).

money
Scratch Tickets

Great ideas!

Keniki, oh how I'd love to get him something with an eye toward his career....if only he'd decide on one....

He lives at home and takes classes at a local college. Wool socks! Thanks for that idea! Also love the idea of getting him items for his future first place! He would absolutely love a wireless laser printer. I'll give that some thought.

He completed the summer Summit program and I've been slowly collecting some of the books he wanted (they get a deep discount while they are there, but he still didn't get everything he wanted to bring home). Great books for life.

More ideas welcome!

All of mine (away at school) are taking more of an interest in staying/getting in shape. So, small things for their dorm rooms that they can use to work out are welcome. Small weight set, jump rope, yoga mat, running clothes (ncluding cold weather gear) has been a hit.

With college often comes internships. Nice slacks and shirts are needed.

Money, always welcome.

Gift cards for gas and stores (food) near their college have been a hit.

BIG ticket items have been a REALLY nice camera for the older one who developed a real interest in photography and was going to work on the school paper the next term, and a letter (framed and wrapped) that we would cover his cost for a new laptop.

Hope this helps.

Anne

if you get the nice wool socks...i find them on LL Bean's site and then do a price check on Amazon for same socks. I sometimes can do better on Amazon; depends.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat