Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

What are your family's Christmas traditions? How do you celebrate?

re: What are your family's Christmas traditions? How do you celebrate?

Bec, I live in Northern Europe. People in a neighboring country have a joke that goes something like this: In the winter people freeze from the cold, and then summer is just short enough to thaw them out a bit. :) I just shared this joke with a native here and he laughed and said it's quite true.
Other than Christmastime and summertime, the people here are very closed and hard to reach.

Hi! Would anyone else like to share?

bump :)

I understand if everyone is too busy to answer this... I'm just curious. I like to hear other people's stories/traditions. :)

On Christmas Eve we sit by the fireplace while my husband reads the Christmas story from the Bible. We drink hot chocolate and eat popcorn.

After the kids are in bed, we sneak to put all the gifts under the tree and fill the stockings. (We still like to do this even though our children are growing older). It's such a beautiful sight in the morning to wake up to.

We always have a get together with family, either on Christmas Eve day, or in the afternoon on Christmas Day. We visit, eat, and have our annual penny auction. I'll explain this:

My mother in law started it years ago, and now we do it every year. Each family brings small, inexpensive items to contribute, and they are all displayed on a table. Then every person is given a bag of 30 pennies. Then the "auctioneer" holds up an item or two at a time for everyone to bid on. It can be comical at times, and the kids all especially liked this fun time when they were little. Then everyone goes home with their won items. Candies, socks, soaps, nuts, candles, toys, etc. Sometimes there are unusual items like a coconut or a whole pineapple. And sometimes a little bit of surprise hidden cash.

Penny auction! Nice idea! :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat