Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

What to do what to do?

What to do what to do?

We have a semi public event that is going to happen, and we are going to attend and it will be in the papers.

And eventually family will hear about it, because they live close enough that the grapevine will inform them.

We are inviting close and dear friends to the event.

There are only so many seats available, do we need to, do we have to invite family?

If not do I tell them before so that they know about this wonderful thing? Or do I tell them after the fact?

It's very awkward! Something similar happened years ago and they were invited, and that time we didn't invite friends, we look forward to enjoying the company of our friends this time...

re: What to do what to do?

I guess part of it is what is the event? And, who are the family (how "close") not invited?

Ultimately, it's always your choice - the decision and when/if to tell them. But, whatever "fallout" happens because of that needs to be prepared for.

I know you're being vague, which is fine. It just makes it hard to give advice or make suggestions.

K

Do that which is going to cause you the least regret later.

ETA: Can you alternate years? You took family last time, friends this time, then family again the next time?

This post was edited on Nov 25, 2017 03:37 PM

If the event is to celebrate you or someone in your immediate family, the consider having a celebration reception at your house later that day or the next and invite family to celebrate the achievement...

Kind of like giving out only a handful of graduation tickets but inviting many others to the graduation party (best analogy I could think of!).

That way, though a few only witness the actual public event, many get to gather in joyful celebration later.

Might this work?

Anne

Thank you, that does help!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat