Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Keniki

Keniki

I don't see it on the front page, but I believe you were the one who was recently asking about historical DVDs for your dh?

At that time I was not familiar with the Vietnam War series by Ken Burns which recently aired on PBS, so I could not comment on it. I had only been able to watch a few minutes of it.

Over the last few years I've read several articles by and about metro vets (several hundred in all) who were there during those years and get together regularly for reunions. In recent articles they -- individually and as a group -- have expressed great disappointment and anger about that series. The two main things I remember them saying is that 1) the series depicted North Vietnam (which was Communist) as the 'good guys' in an unrealistically sympathetic light, and that 2) there were not enough real vets interviewed. The prevailing attitude was that it was a "liberal hatchet job" (their phrase).

The only good series I've seen which might be on DVD was a three-episode series on the History Channel about the Revolutionary War. If your dh is interested in true facts relevant to the Vietnam Era (with much insight re background issues which directly caused real events), I would recommend the book Radical Son by David Horowitz. I know it's not a DVD, but it's a great resource for real facts.

re: Keniki

Thanks for the info! Since my step-dad is a Vietnam vet, I really appreciate knowing that most vets don't appreciate this set. I'll cross it off my list, and I'll check into that book.

Keniki

I'm glad that was helpful, Keniki. :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat