Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wooops I gave you the wrong Bible verse...it was Mark 10 vs 15 that speaks of infant faith...

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wooops I gave you the wrong Bible verse...it was Mark 10 vs 15 that speaks of infant faith...

by Jerry Bridges

----

This thread has been about Bible verses, not human authors' words, which is one of the really unique and beautiful things about it. Christians don't always agree: Notice Paul and Barnabas,two mature and Godly believers, who parted ways at one point due to disagreement. It is wonderful to find other believers who care so much about the Word of God that they meditate on it, study it, and will spend time discussing it.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wooops I gave you the wrong Bible verse...it was Mark 10 vs 15 that speaks of infant faith...

Quote: “Those of us who care about doctrine at all are susceptible to this form of pride.”

You are to correct to warn about pride. We are all susceptible to pride, and we should be on guard. But the statements above from this author are unbiblical.

The Scriptures are clear that we should all care about doctrine.

Jesus cared about doctrine: [Jhn 7:16-17 NKJV] 16 Jesus answered them and said, "My doctrine is not Mine, but His who sent Me. 17 If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God or whether I speak on My own authority."

Here are a few other examples that prove that we had better care strongly about doctrine:

[2Jo 1:9-10 NKJV] 9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him;

[1Ti 4:13, 16 NKJV] 13 Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. ... 16 Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.

[1Ti 5:17 NKJV] 17 Let the elders who rule well be counted worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in the word and doctrine.

[2Ti 3:10, 16 NKJV] 10 But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, ... 16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

[2Ti 4:3-4 NKJV] 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

[Tit 1:9 NKJV] 9 holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.

[Tit 2:1 NKJV] 1 But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine.

...And I do appreciate the irony when I said that the author's statements were unbiblical since he basically told me that this was what I wasn't supposed to do.

:)

Mama Anna, that's an impressive list! Thank you for taking the time to compile it. Those scriptures show how vitally important this topic (and many others) are.

A number of posters have accused faithful Christians here, over the years, of being 'prideful' just because they care about God's Word, and the fact that people are "destroyed for lack of knowledge" (I believe that scripture phrase is found in Amos). Unfortunately, that accusation happens regularly.

Not speaking this to anyone personally, but it has occurred to me, isn't it prideful to assume that one knows another's heart and thus accuse him or her of being prideful?

As I mentioned earlier, this OP topic is very concerning to me Because It Directly Affects People's Salvation (or lack of). It doesn't get any more important than that.

I have known Many People who genuinely, sincerely believed they were safe, were on their way to Heaven, for this reason -- a priest or pastor had sprinkled water on their heads when they were babies and spoken words over them.

As God's Word shows us, people can be genuinely, sincerely wrong. They can be deceived. He tells us in Proverbs that a man can believe a way is the right way to go, then learn at the end of his life that it wasn't. What a tragedy!

Is it wrong, is it prideful to care about people? Is it prideful to want them to know the precious Truth of God's Word so that they can hear and obey Him and have a home in Heaven when their earthly life is over?

If it is, then we might as well shut down all the churches, and forget about sharing the Gospel with anybody as Christ Jesus commanded. Just let everyone do as they did in the days of the Judges; let everyone do what is right in their own eyes, and disregard God's Word. There's already So Much of that in churches, it has become an epidemic! God Help Us.

You make excellent points gr8fl2bHis that the motivation for posting is caring for people. And kanda's reminder is a good one concerning love and humility. Anything we post here is worthless if the motivation is not love (1 Cor 13:1-3). And the glory should go to God.

But the author's applications are unbiblical.

When Jesus spoke to the Sadducees concerning their doctrine on the resurrection, He did *not* say "I realize that you Sadducees are godly and theologically capable." Instead, he said, "Are you not therefore mistaken, because you do not know the Scriptures nor the power of God?" (Mark 12:24).

When Paul spoke to the Galatians regarding the doctrine of those teaching that the Gentile Christians needed to obey the Law of Moses, Paul did *not* say, "I realize that you are godly and theologically capable." Instead, Paul said, "But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed" (Galatians 1:8). And he said, "You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace" (Galatians 5:4).

When we are confronted with a different doctrine, we should not assume that those espousing the doctrine are godly and theologically capable, but we should search "the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so" (Acts 17:11).

Anything we post here is worthless if the motivation is not love (1 Cor 13:1-3). And the glory should go to God.
-------

AMEN. Yes, all glory to the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come! Without Him, we can do nothing.

The scripture you posted from Acts 17 often comes to mind, for this reason: During Paul's travels from place to place, he spoke at Berea after he had spoken at Thessalonica.

The Lord commended the believers at Berea *because* they searched the scriptures to see if what Paul preached was true, or not. He said that, because they did that, they were "more noble" than the believers at Thessalonica (who didn't).

This morning during my prayer time, this came to mind: Surely the ultimate in pride is man exalting his own thoughts and word above God's (Isaiah 14; Isaiah 55).

Christ Jesus reproved the Pharisees because, as He put it, they had made God's Word of no effect by their exaltation of man's traditions. That is quite a statement! I've heard people say, But no one can make God's Word of no effect! Christ Jesus said the Pharisees did, by emphasizing their traditions above the Word of God.

Some religious systems/churches have done this; some are called cults and some aren't. They have exalted man's thoughts and traditions over and above the Word of God *instead* of exalting God's Word over and above their own thoughts and ideas.

(The scripture verse you quoted, where Paul warned of receiving another gospel, another "Jesus", another spirit, addresses this very issue.)

This is what has led to unBiblical doctrines being accepted and preached and believed in churches. Unchecked, it leads to apostasy, which we are witnessing in a number of church organizations these days. We need a true revival of the fear/worship of God; nothing else can reverse this trend.

^^^

Amen!

Been following this thread, but not commenting. I'm just glad I've finally figured out where Lizbeth is coming from in her belief system. You (Lizbeth) believe in reformed doctrine, with infant baptism, am I correct?

12345678910...Last

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat