Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

re: Medi-Share vs. Samaritan Ministries

Medi-Share vs. Samaritan Ministries

Dh asked me to research both of these organizations and help him decide which would be the best choice for our family. Medi-Share seems more "insurance-like" with ID cards and providers being able to send bills directly to them. Dh likes the fact that there's a bank account associated with it rather than sending a check directly to someone. He said it seems simpler than the way Samaritan does it. Yet with Samaritan, it seems more like sharing to me, since you get the newsletter and send the money directly to the person.

We are going to crunch the numbers soon and try to make a decision; either one would be a DRASTIC savings over our premiums now. Anyone have any comments on either one to help us out? We are a family of 8.

I have just started looking into these also. My questions are about pre-existing conditions/prescription coverage

Hope someone here can enlighten us!

We checked into Samaritan Ministries a couple of years ago so my info may be outdated. At that time they would not accept someone with a pre existing condition (or they wouldn't pay anything towards the treatment of that condition). Both dh & I have pre ex so we didn't bother to apply. We're now waiting to see what Obama care will offer to people like us......

We are all pretty healthy, so I'm not really worried about preexisting conditions.

We are right there with you, trying to make the same decision.

My dh started checking into health insurance plans with "real" ins. companies this week (trying to weigh all our options to decide whether to go with one of those, or one of the Christian groups), and our premiums with a HIGH deductible and basically just "major" medical would be about the same as the Christian groups. The two main differences that we see are:

1. With one of the Christian groups, we wouldn't have to wonder whether we're funding people's abortions and things like that. (So a positive for the Christian groups.) Also, I think that the whole *philosophy* of sharing expenses with the Christian groups is a very biblical principle. (But I don't necessarily think it's sin to use an insurance co., either.)

2. We could also get Life and AD&D with the "real" insurance co. (A negative with the Christian groups.) If we went with a Christian group for assistance in medical expenses, then we'd have to buy Life and AD&D somewhere else, anyway. Which is fine, but it's cheaper to include those *with* a medical policy from an actual insurance co.

So I know that doesn't really help you decide between Medi-Share and Samaritan, but thought I'd share my thoughts anyway since we're on the same search. I do like the idea of having an ID card that works a little more "like" insurance. Maybe I've just become too dependent on the way our modern system works, though. I did get info from another friend who's also searching, and she shared a few tidbits that I haven't had a chance to share with dh yet. Let me find that info and I'll come back.

In addition to what kayrenee said, one thing to keep in mind with these vs. 'real insurance' is just that. This is NOT insurance so there are no pre-arranged rates with your doctor's office. For example, our oldest ds has Blue Cross Insurance. Blue Cross has prearranged rates with our doctor's office of something like $80 of which our son pays $20. When we go to the doctor's office with no insurance or with one of the Christian alternatives, you don't get those adjusted rates, so we pay $124. Also, many companies like Blue Cross pick up your yearly physical and lab work. These are things that need to be factored in when comparing the premiums. If they are the same, then insurance is cheaper because with the Christian alternatives, you still have to pay these other expenses.

I know I haven't done anything either to compare the two. Just trying to point out some things that can get missed when comparing these to real insurance.

One thing I read on Medi-share's site is that they have an arrangement with a PPO network and they DO give discounts just like you'd get with insurance.

With either of the sharing plans, we'd be paying less than half of what our insurance premiums are now. With Medi-Share we can pick a "deductible" level (they don't call it that, but that's essentially what it is). We are considering a high one, since the monthly share amount is so low, and then we'd save the difference to use for medical expenses that come up before meeting the "deductible".

Our insurance agent told us to expect our premiums to double in 2014. They are already very high as it is. So, we need to do something. We don't really want to get into the whole subsidy thing they are pushing, but if we stick with traditional insurance we won't have a choice.

This post was edited on May 18, 2013 12:03 PM

re: re: Medi-Share vs. Samaritan Ministries

Just Curious - Will these kinds of plans count when the "you have to have insurance" deal starts kicking in?

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat