Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Shoes for children's Karate class?

Shoes for children's Karate class?

My dc's all take Karate lessons 3 times per week. Their instructor prefers that they be barefoot and I would not mind this except that classes take place in a very busy YMCA gym and one of the boys in the class has a plantar WART!!! Ick!!

I've talked to the mom about how contagious these lousy warts are but she really doesn't care. I don't think it's my place to talk to the instructor about it, and what can he do but ban the child, which I know he won't.

So, I'm wondering if there's any footwear my kids can wear for karate. I was thinking of a ballet type shoe for the girls but what about my son?

re: Shoes for children's Karate class?

My children take Taekwondo, and they are allowed to wear martial arts shoes in class if desired. My children do not, but a couple kids have them. I am assuming Karate would be the same?

Here are a couple links:

http://www.kungfu4less.com/admaartsh.html

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/default.aspx?TabID=145&q=shoes

Actually plantar warts aren't Highly contagious.

They are caused by the HPV virus and just because you come in contact with someone that has one or a mat they walked on doesn't mean you'll get one. My son has one on his heel (the side of it) and the dermatologist told us not to worry about it. We can treat it with OTC stuff and duct tape, but usually the body will eventually fight it off on it's own.

I wouldn't worry unless the gym is really warm and moist. Also the virus needs a way in, such as a cut or abrasion on the person.

My son's had his for a year and none of us at home have gotten warts of any kind due to this.

There are martial arts shoes available, but just wanted to clarify that they aren't as contagious as one may think.

~Kel

Thanks Kel,

Well, unfortunately the Y room is very hot and humid with no air conditioning. I worry about this because I have a nasty wart on my foot and it's spreading so that now I have 5 or 6 of them. I've been trying to get rid of them on my own with OTC stuff and duct tape, but they are actually getting worse so I am going to have to have them burned or frozen off. I don't want my kids to have to go through that.

This kid in karate has had his frozen twice already and it keeps coming back. The Y in my town is dirty and not very well kept as well as hot and humid. Hard to believe, but true. I've never seen a more decrepit YMCA.

Thanks faithandfamily. I looked at those links. I guess I was hoping for something a bit smaller, like a ballet shoe, but those might work. I should probably ask the instructor. He'd probably know where to get them.

You would need a martial arts deck shoe. Unfortunately they aren't cheap http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Apparel/Shoes/adidas_Adilux_Shoe.aspx

Something like this would work. I believe my husband got his at Summit Hut. But a ballet slipper wouldn't provide enough support to do the moves required. Sometimes instructors will allow socks so it would be worth talking to their instructor.

HTH
Sarah

Sarah, thanks for that link. Those look wonderful but wow, they sure are expensive.

Have you tried apple cider vinegar? My kids have had warts and we used apple cider vinegar on a cotton ball, held on with a band aid overnight. My kids couldn't stand the smell so they took it off the next morning, but the wart still fell off.
HTH
Beth

I did try apple cider vinegar once. It didn't work, but I remember that it burned so I stopped after two days.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat