Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Food-safe fabric for reusable sandwich bags

Food-safe fabric for reusable sandwich bags

I've considered sewing some cloth sandwich and snack bags to use and give as gifts. I've never been a real "greenie" about materials, but I'll be giving them to people who are, so I want to use material that is food-safe and preferably wipe-clean.

Some suggest linseed oil to make homemade oilcloth, but I've learned it is not food-safe. I've also heard someone mention brushing on melted beeswax, but would that really be practical? I mean, for washing and handling?

Has anyone made these? Should I just use regular fabric since it will probably only be used for short-term storage?

re: Food-safe fabric for reusable sandwich bags

I have some Planet Wise snack bags. They are fabric on the outside, food grade plastic on the inside with a applix closure.

http://www.planetwiseinc.com/Planet_Wise_Snack_Bag_69_cat.html

Thanks for that link, MM! It led to some other informative sites.

I'm wondering if any PUL coating is safe as long as the food does not come in contact with it?

Back in the "olden" days, my parents wrapped their sandwiches in wax paper. If I were more "green" I'd be suspicious of any plastic or aluminum. Glass or stainless steel containers are supposed to be better. You could make thermal coverings to fit over those.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat