Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Update!: The Elijah Co. founders - are they really

Update!: The Elijah Co. founders - are they really

divorced? I was trying to find an article written by Chris D. and my search bar brought up "divorce". If true (and I know this probably sounds goofy) I feel that after being front runners in the homeschooling movement for so many years it makes one second guess the validity of his/her advice. KWIM??

This post was edited on Jan 06, 2012 06:38 PM

re: The Elijah Co. founders - are they really

Since Chris and Davis are both such common names, I would not assume this to be true. Even if it is, it would not cause me to doubt anything they espoused which is Biblically-based.

People don't always live by what they say they believe, some give up when the going gets tough, and sometimes one lives it and the other doesn't. There are many variables.

Edited for clarity

This post was edited on Jan 05, 2012 05:13 PM

Elliemaejune said something so wise - there are many variables. Life isn't always ideal, even we know in our head and can even teach what is the ideal. being human and fallible...sometimes we verbalize it, but can't attain it in some respect.

It is noticeable that Chris Davis (the one of the former Elijah Company) does not in any way mention his wife Ellyn at his website or blog. I don't know any other facts, but I only see that it gets no mention, though his four children are noted.

http://chrisdavis.wordpress.com/about/

http://homeschooltravel.com/#About_Us

(But looking at his travel website made me wish - as usual - to go visit Israel.) =o)

ETA: I so wish the Elijah Company was still in existence! I was very inspired by their articles. I have heard of the book they wrote that compiles many of those articles- I Saw the Angel in the Marble. Anyone read that? Worthwhile to buy? I miss their company for selfish reasons I guess, as I'm sure they need a sense of retirement like everyone. =o) The travel business seems more low-key and isn't day in-day out demanding.

This post was edited on Jan 05, 2012 09:54 PM

I googled Chris and Ellyn's names and this came up. Take it FWIW. It was posted by someone who said she worked with Chris in 2007. This post is dated March 3 of that year.

http://www.vegsource.com/homeschool/religious/messages/12309.html

same link, easier to copy:

http://tinyurl.com/6ukorve

This post was edited on Jan 05, 2012 10:04 PM

Mommy4Jesus, I went to the blog you linked. Going by the date on the post I mentioned above, I clicked on his posts for 2006 and 2007. In two of them he mentioned having lived with three different families ("Crossville") and also having Thanksgiving dinner with another family. So it sounds like it may be true. How very sad.

I don't know when The Elijah Company came to an end, but if this is true I would think it's probably the reason for its demise.

This post was edited on Jan 05, 2012 10:25 PM

Interesting that you mention this because I have been wondering the same thing for several years. I used to receive blog/email things from her and though nothing was ever said, but it just seemed like something had happened. She mentioned moving and a few other things that made it seem like she was "starting over". I would occasionally receive emails from him for his Israel trips, and just recently received something that made me wonder again. It is none of my beeswax, nor do I think any less of them, I just got curious.

I can look at it from a logic perspective and realize that sometimes things just "happen" to the best of people. Sometimes two good people just end up apart. But it truly breaks my heart for couples like the Davis's who raised a standard for others to aspire to. To me, a strong marriage is a cornerstone of the homeschool life. When a marriage is dissolved, how can I trust the rest of the message? I don't know this couple, and I don't know anything about their company except what I've recently learned, but I am sad for them and their family - even though this appears to have happened a few years back.

I have not read the replys here, but yes, they are divorced.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat