Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Variations of White Elephant gift exchange?

re: Variations of White Elephant gift exchange?

What are the reasons is was boring? Is it because people just brought junk?

Variations of White Elephant gift exchange?

Hi Ladies,
I am in charge of a WE gift exchange for a group party. Last year it was the typical take a number, get a gift, steal a gift, or get another one from under the tree type. It was kind of boring because.....well, a number of reasons. So I was wondering if you could post your variations of a gift exchange so we can have more fun this year!

Also, do you think "White Elephant" gives the idea of something just from around your home? I think I would prefer to do a nicer one this year so I don't want to put WE if that is the idea.

Thanks for bringing some holiday cheer!

Sherry

I thought a white elephant gift was *supposed* to be something from around your home. We did this one year with our Bible study group, except the gifts were junky. It was the funniest, most enjoyable gift exchange I've ever been a part of. The point was the fun, not the gifts, and it really was funny what people thought to box up. If you were in a group that has a good sense of humor, this would be fun.

do you do WE with the right left story?
+What about combining musical chairs with "winning" a gift
+Variations on Marco Polo to get a gift
+trivia christmas pursuit fastest person finish gets to be Santa and assign gifts to the other elves (guest)
+christmas bingo
+"Twas the Night Before Christmas" (one person reads) Everytime you hear the word "the", you pass the gift to your right. At the end of the story, you open the gift in your lap.

Just a comment: We had a bad experience at a SS party white elephant gift exchange once. We saw a packaged "lump of coal" in a little red naughty stocking that we bought for our gift. We thought it was funny. We always try to give something funny.

Our group did a variation of white elephant where you either pick someone else's gift 1st or you choose an unopened gift. Ours was the last gift left. The recipient chose not to take anyone else's gift and opened ours sight unseen. Her face totally fell. She actually looked upset. Then someone commented on what a "callous" gift it was. Most of the other gifts were crazy things from around someone's house. No one knew who gave which gift. We had about 60 people at the party,

I still think it was a funny gift. We've given similar things before with other groups and everyone always thought is was cute.

pcm

pcm, thanks for sharing your story. We do this same type of gift exchange with our annual neighborhood progressive dinner. About 60 adults as well. I've learned that the people are not happy about the gag gifts. They feel upset if they do not 'score' something good at the gift exchange. So I'm sure now to always bring Starbucks gifts cards, Target gift cards, nice men's tools, various gifts that would be in high-demand at the gift exchange.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat