General Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Life struggles and Math woes.

Life struggles and Math woes.

I haven't posted in a very long time. Long story short, my husband was in a horrific semi truck accident at work and now is dealing with a brain injury, as well as recovering physically and emotionally. My days are spent with nurses, appointments and screenings. Our lives have changed dramatically. My 11th grade dd still has not started math for the year due to all of the sudden changes at home. I don't even know how she will move onto 12th grade without the math? I'm lucky to even get her to her coops twice a week. My question is......Have any of your children taken the same math two years in a row in HS? She was in Algebra 2 last year and we will be revisiting it for the remainder of this year. I don't feel comfortable sending her onto a higher math at this point without intensely reviewing Alg. 2 again. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also, How would that look on a transcript. The same math two years in a row?!?!?!?

re: Life struggles and Math woes.

((hugs)) for the changes. You might get more help though on the high school subforum or on the homeschool discussion subforum instead of the typical day where it got posted. :)

In my state of residence, the public school students have a course called Bridge Math. It is for grade 12 students who basically did enough Alg 2 to not fail, but the person is not ready for Pre Calc just yet. It is a commonly taken course which is a 4th year math course (meets graduation requirements) designed to review materials from Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2. It’s primary focus is to review concepts and prepare students for the ACT and for post secondary math courses.

If I were in the situation you described, the grade 11 semester you're doing would probably get called something like Bridge Math especially if I added in ACT prep work with it. I'd try to do enough work from now through summer to give year's worth of credit instead of just semester.

This post was edited on Jan 02, 2018 06:06 AM

You certainly could do Algebra 2 again, or you could look at a Liberal Arts Math or Consumer Math. Then she could have Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2 & Liberal Arts Math, which will meet graduation requirements and would not be overwhelming for her. I’m so sorry for all your family has been through. Hugs.

agreeing with other poster and tagging on ideas for liberal arts math and other:

1. first and foremost if there are any regulations in your area about homeschool graduations or a cover school's rules, you have to follow that. that's just disclaimer.

2. if college is on the radar directly after high school, you might want to look for admissions minimums. Some places want to see alg 1, alg 2, geometry. Then you have a lot of space to breathe and be thankful.
other colleges may want a 4th year beyond in which case "consumer math" will look out of place (unless you call it personal finance and still have 4th class)

2.5 if work or gap year, then it might not be seen as out of place if consumer math is 4th math.

both of those to say: you haven't ruined this. :) chin up!!!

3. after student does some review of alg 2 this year, you could consider the idea of self study for something like CLEP College Mathematics. look at modern states dot org for a review and expand class.
https://modernstates.org/course/college-mathematics/
and get a CLEP prep practice book (REA guides, or other)

determination of credit for passing the CLEP exam will vary by college of course. not all colleges give credit for that specific test. But it's getting to be a common thing among homeschoolers to give high school credit for passing CLEP. and with that test in particular it's beyond alg 2, right? 1 test = 1 high school credit is the general rule of thumb out there. And I know some homeschoolers who give the high school credit after course and getting certain score on practice tests. It's more validated with actual test, but one of those homeschoolers get to individualize a bit, right?

That test is one example of material for "liberal arts math".

be encouraged. :) and you're doing good to get her to co op twice a week with all going on.

This post was edited on Jan 02, 2018 11:31 AM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to General Discussions