The Swap Meet

Reply to topic

Search

Has anyone ever bought any books from a "Southwestern" salesperson?

Has anyone ever bought any books from a "Southwestern" salesperson?

I had never heard of them, but this very nice college student came to our house to sell books. Educational books from a direct sales company called Southwestern.
Well, the most expensive one he tried to get me to buy I didn't buy, but I did buy another set. Six "Explore and Learn" volumes.

Explore and Learn: Earth & Space
Explore and Learn: Science and Technology
Explore and Learn: The Natural World
Explore and Learn: People in Place and Time
Explore and Learn: Me and My Body
Explore and Learn: Atlas of the World

Six books for $140. And he'll deliver them at the end of the summer.

I feel good about it because we looked throught he sample books and they were very nice books which I think I will be able to implement into our homeschooling.

I feel sort of bad about it because I've since read a bit online about the "Scam of Southwestern". I really hope it isn't a scam.

So has anyone else done this? Has anyone had good or bad experiences with a Southwestern order? What about those specific books. Has anyone else bought them or used them? What did you think?

Thanks for any input.

Carrie

re: Has anyone ever bought any books from a "Southwestern" salesperson?

I have this set from Southwestern also. I also bought the "I Wonder Why" Series (I Wonder Why Leaves Change Color etc).
I have used my books quite a bit for homeschooling. They remind me of Usborne books but less busy pages. What are the ages of your kids? Mine are 8 and 7 and I think the content is just right for them.
I just wanted to let you know I did not get scammed, and I got the books I paid for with no problem. The quality of the covers, binding, and pages are very good.

Stacey

Hi!
I had the same situation a few years back, and bought the exact same books. Let me put your mind at ease, and tell you that they are quality books and my children LOVE them. I often have a few floating around in the car, near their beds, in the book basket, and they read and re-read them. They have learned a lot just by reading them for fun!

It may seem expensive up front (I felt the same way), but you will get your money out of them over the years to come.

Blessings~~

We bought a set from them also, about 13 years ago, and have used them a lot. They are wonderful, quality, books.

Amy

I don't think they are a scam. I actually just had to turn a really nice (very cute with an awesome british accent) college boy away last summer because I had already bought the whole set when my kids were younger. I got them when my son was in PS K.

We have the ones you mentioned the "Ask me Why" series and the "My" books (My word book, my number book etc)

The whole lot was about $400 back then but we got 24 books. They are all well made and my kids have used them a lot over the 5 years we've owned them. The girl I got them from back then was also very nice, and delivered them at the end of summer just like she said.

I hope you enjoy yours, we haven't used out specifically for school but my kids are constantly taking them all around the house and in the car with us.

Kel

They are nice books. We have the "I Wonder Why" books, and yes, you will get them at the end of summer.

they are not a scam.

this is a company that employs college students every summer to canvass the nation and sell their books.

at summer's end, your books will show up as promised! :) we bought a set a few years ago..twice, actually.

They came to my house a couple of summers ago and I had wished that I had some extra $$ on hand because the books seemed wonderful and I knew my dc would've loved them.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to The Swap Meet