The Swap Meet

Reply to topic

Search

Spinoff: Kinko's cutting off book bindings, etc...

Spinoff: Kinko's cutting off book bindings, etc...

I have heard you ladies discussing this for years, but I have never really had a need to consider it until this year. About how much $ does it cost to have the binding cut and spiral bound (average student workbook)?

Also, have any of you had any of your softbound textbooks covered with that hard lamination plastic - similar to what libraries use nowadays on paperback books? Wondering if that is expensive....

Is Kinko's the best place to have this done, or does Office Max or Staples do this also? (I don't know where our closest Kinko's is...)

Thanks!

re: Spinoff: Kinko's cutting off book bindings, etc...

The cost is nominal--$5 or less--for cutting. I don't know about spiral binding, as I prefer keeping my books in three-ring notebooks.

Office Max and Staples don't always have the equipment to cut off the binding and drill a whole book in one fell swoop. Kinko's does. Check with your other stores, though, as they *might* be able to do it.

I only go to Office Max. For a soft student textbook (8x11ish) it usually costs me about $4 to have the binding cut AND have it spiral bound. I think they charge by the thickness though.

I don't do 3 hole punching so I couldn't tell you. I imagine it is cheaper than $4, since spiral binding has to be hand done.

I like the spiral bound method for *books* that we're reading so we can fold it over and get comfortable with it. For example, I'd do this if we were using books I'd printed off the internet, like from Ambleside or Old Fashioned Education.... and also if I had the binding removed from an existing bound book, like you're doing.

I like 3-ring binders for my teacher notes, notebook paper, storing the children's work/notebooking, and things like that.

One is for reading; one is for our "work".

I don't have access to printing franchises here, but there is an independent printing place here, so I had a couple packs of notepads cut in half for making lists. The gentleman did it for free! He said "It only takes me a minute to walk over to the machine and a second to pull the handle. No charge." I put him on my Christmas list! So, don't overlook locally owned places for a big name place. Give them a chance to help you.

I don't have a Kinko's locally. I've used Staples. It usually costs about $2 to cut the binding off. I don't remember how much the cost for having it spiral bound is. Lately, I've been using my own three-hole punch or page protectors to put in a binder.

We do spiral binding, three hole punching, laminating etc. depenting on the book. Lamination from Kinko's is heavy duty. It can rack up the cost a bit. Spiral binding is a coupld of dollars.

HTH

I had a HOD manual cut, laminated and spiral bound at Kinkos a few days ago. I can imagine like any thing else, the cost can vary from place to place. My cost:

Cutting 1.50
laminated $2 per cover so $4 (yes, it is VERY heavy duty!)
about a 1" spiral $5 (I would think a smaller one would be cheaper)

So about $11

I don't think I would laminate a wkbk cuz of the cost, but for a manual that is gonna get used over and over and go for re-sale, it is worth it.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to The Swap Meet