Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

R&S English VS. Learning Language Arts Through Literature, Grade 3, Yellow

R&S English VS. Learning Language Arts Through Literature, Grade 3, Yellow

Any opinions welcome! Thanks so much in advance.

Penny
http://marbleschalkanddirtysocks.blogspot.com/2011/09/mfw-adventures-week-5.html?m=0

re: R&S English VS. Learning Language Arts Through Literature, Grade 3, Yellow

Llatl yellow was my favorite of those. It was fun. I didnt really love the rest of the llatl series, though. I dont think 3rd graders need a heavy grammar, so it is a good fit.

Rod and staff english is great, but it is more involved than llatl.

LLATL Yellow is our fave too!!! I begin R&S in 4th with the third grade book :0)

Thanks for replying! :)

In LLATL, does the child read the books or do you read the books to the child?

Also, does each lesson last for one week or is it lesson 1 for day 1, lesson 2 for day 2, etc.?

How many lessons are there?

Each lesson takes a week. On Monday, you do everything for 1a-(whatever). On Tuesday, everything for 2...and so on. Although sometimes I might save something from one day and move it to the next if it seemed like a lot of work for the day.

Hope that helped.

i LOVE r&s english!! it is very thorough.
i have tried llatl but i didn't feel like it flowed well, there was little review, and it was very light on grammar and writing.

We are using R&S 3 (finished 2 last year). You can find information on it here:
http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/item/1-123--/?list=Building_Christian_English_Series

Here is some information about LLATL:
http://www.cspress.com/yellow.htm

It has links to an assessment test and a scope and sequence.

R&S at this level teaches parts of speech (grammar), including beginning diagramming, a bit about poetry, dictionary skills, and a small amount of composition. It is a textbook type format with exercises.

LLATL is different. I have never used it. In fact, the closest I've looked at it was at co-op one day. So, all I know about it is internet research. If you look at the scope and sequence here--
http://www.cspress.com/scope/scope2.htm#yellow
--you will see that it covers phonics, spelling, reading, and cursive, and some other skills, as well as those skills I mentioned R&S covers. I use separate programs for spelling, reading and cursive to get that covered because R&S does not cover them at all.

LLATL uses literature to cover everything, while R&S is textbook. I think this is a significant difference. The appeal of each may depend upon your overall choice in teaching philosophy.

Actually, after looking at it, I'm wondering if LLATL doesn't fit our family better than R&S. LOL Thanks...more curriculum choices. :)

ETA: After studying the scope and sequence and looking at assessment testing, I think my 3rd grader would start in the purple book, based upon the skills she has learned through her previous studies. So, I'm not totally sure that the the two programs are interchangeable at the grade levels. It would depend upon how you covered grammar, reading, spelling, and composition in 2nd grade, I would think. For reference, we completed SL LA 1&2, are on our second year of HOD DITHOR, did HOD Beyond and in are HOD Bigger now, and finished the first half of PLL and all of Rod & Staff English 2. The only part of yellow fits is that we have just started cursive this year.

This post was edited on Oct 02, 2011 10:46 AM

I don't think this is like comparing apples to apples. R&S English is more about grammar and that's it, and LLATL is supposed to be a complete language arts curriculum. That being said, I've only used R&S and it's advanced (3rd grade is more like 4th grade. I have BJU 4th gr English and it's got the same stuff in it as R&S 3rd grade.) We're using R&S 2nd grade, and it's a slow, gentle introduction so far. I'm liking it, though it is not fancy in any way. I like the short lessons and practices for students (unlike BJU English which is like a 45 minute daily subject, ugh.)

Can't comment on LLATL. Never used it.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions