Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

MFW ECC .MOH or SOTW?

MFW ECC .MOH or SOTW?

Which would you choose for a 5thdd and two 8thds and why? Keep in mind that 5th grader would continue with program in future years.

re: MFW ECC .MOH or SOTW?

me choosing for me... MFW ECC. I like the idea of everything planned out and the research skills in the program, the fun of crafts, and music and cooking. I've done ECC twice and yes, I'd do it again.

me helping you to decide better fit???????????

I like the idea of a year of cultures and geography study. In MFW high school, geography mostly becomes a lot of map work in the history courses.

Which volume of SOTW are you considering? and what is your game plan for high school for four years? If you plan to have the high schoolers do chronological history in high school, ECC would be a great year to do in 8th grade, then just start high school with ancient history and literature. SOTW will not really be the best high school fit without a lot of extra work. I'm not familiar with MOH, but right now it is not yet finished with no projection of final date that I've heard.

I'm very bias toward using MFW. I've used it since 2003 and I like it. I don't think everyone will or should.

8th and 5th ECC, 8th graders use the jr. high expansions, start current events with magazine (see mfw's language arts page for that)
9th - AHL and 6th in CTG using the Bible as spine
10th WHL and 7th in RTR
11th US 1 and 8th in EX1850
summer after that, have the finishing 8th grade student just read through sotw vol. 4 and don't worry about it!
12th US 2, and 9th grader in AHL. don't try to combine at high school level at this point, you have to do graduation.

just one opinion. and that's what I"d do for my family. It might not be a good option for you.

Which would you choose for a 5thdd and two 8thds and why? Keep in mind that 5th grader would continue with program in future years.
----------------------------------------------
I loved ECC. My dc were much younger though when we used it. I love how ECC gives a Christian World View. I would choose it over SOTW for that very reason alone. MOH is good, but imho is not really planned out for you and does not have the 'meat that ECC does. ECC is complete and pretty much open and go. The planning is done for you and I have loved all the years that I have used MFW. I wish that we had done CtG instead of SL that year.

coffee4me

Agreeing with Crystal about 8th grade being a great time for world cultures, geography & missions emphasis, just before kicking off high school and chronological history and the time that those guys (girls?) are thinking about what they want to do in life, and what their biggest priorities are... whether that be with MFW or something else. Your 5th grader then could stay on the same time period with the other two, just at his own level.

I like MOH, but it's pretty much a stand-alone history course, though Bible is integrated and I like that. But it's history, and somewhat kinda' textbookish, though you do have lots of options for adding additional lit and videos, etc. My 7th grader is doing MOH this year and, without really saying it out loud, I'm adding other reading assignments to it. (Because this is my "I love textbooks!" girl.) Then she does a separate science, too. But I love how MFW weaves the science, history/geography, and Bible all together to help create that focused biblical worldview. It's just a tool, but a good tool.

SOTW I wouldn't do by itself. (No biblical worldview, and not really age appropriate for older kids by itself, anyway.) If you decide to go with MOH or SOTW, I would use one of the schedules online that lays out these two books together.

Also, I don't think MOH is meaty enough for high schoolers unless you add a LOT to it. (Thinking long term plan here.) I'm adding to it for my 7th grader, and she's not even an academic but she's doing fine with the extra that I've assigned her.

And as Crystal mentioned, be sure to use the 7th/8th grade extension pack with the 8th graders because without that, it's too light for that age group as well. They'll do science at their own level, of course, and can participate in the scheduled science in ECC if they want to.

To ME, though, the biggest reason for going with ECC in 8th is the biblical/missions worldview and geographical foundation before high school.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions