Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

MFW Science vs. HOD Science?

MFW Science vs. HOD Science?

Anyone have a comparison of these two? What did you enjoy/not enjoy about either? Thanks!

re: MFW Science vs. HOD Science?

I can't speak for MFW since I've never used it but I've used HOD Little Hearts and Beyond. I do not like the science in HOD for those guides. Very disjointed and sometimes the "tie-in" seems to be grasping at straws.

I do, however, think that science gets better from Bigger on as they start using living texts. Perhaps it is just the science texts from CLP that I don't like. But you jump all over the textbook and it felt random. My daughter didn't care for that at all. I did like some of the experiments though.

It is not the fault of CLP. We used the previous 2 years before the one used in Beyond. We got nothing out of the one in Beyond, while we enjoyed working straight through the other two, as intended. In HOD, they are used more as reference material. About half way through the year, I just stopped using it altogether.

Science in MFW Adventures looks like it has more to it than the one in Beyond. Both have simple introductory science concepts and experiments. In HOD, in the early years, the science is written into the manual (except for the CLP references). With MFW, it uses some Usborne books. If i had to pick one, I'd use MFW's. However, I do like the science in Bigger, as the PP said.

I have only used MFW Adventures I didn't personally like it. But I wasn't excited about any of MFW. You get all these extra little "science" books, but it will have you read 1 page a day and the "experiments" never worked when we did them. I haven't used HOD and of course on comp. it looks awesome, but so did MFW. I don't know what to suggest but that's my thoughts. I just wound up buying the Exploring creation series and since my kids differ on how they feel about reading, I let them read it at their own pace. They really liked that.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions