Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Homemade pull down maps using window shades

Homemade pull down maps using window shades

I can't afford real spring roller pull down maps. My husband suggested a project of buying inexpensive pull down window shades and attaching maps to them. Has anyone done this before? I think it would be fun to try. I've been searching the internet but can only find projects that used wallpaper to decorate a window shade.

re: Homemade pull down maps using window shades

There's one on this blog. She did a total home school room redo.
Lots of ideas here.

http://pastorettesprogress.blogspot.com/2010/08/welcome-to.html

You gotta scroll down a ways.

That is a great idea! If you get it to work, or find a solution, please make sure you share it! :D

What if you bought the clear plastic table cloth (it's a thick plastic but durable plastic and only around $5) from Walmart, sandwiched your map in it then sewed it to the pull down shade. Or laminate the map, then sew it to the shade.

I really don't know if this would be worth the trouble but it's a thought.

Well, this may be too simplistic, but I know we used to have cheap shades with the shade just stapled to the roller. You could take off the original shade and staple on your map as long as the map is the right size. I've considered this myself, but I haven't done it.

Jennifer

This might not be what you want, but I read once of a family who bought a clear plastic tablecloth and put maps and charts and things on their dining room table. The kids could learn about it during meals or while they did school work.

I tried that but unless you just use a very light weight paper map (not laminated) the spring on the window shade won't be strong enough. My maps were laminated and would barely roll up half way and I bought the heavy duty window shades. I saved up and was able to buy a set of spring roller maps from Amazon for $153, it has two maps (US and World) and they are something like 5 ft. wide and wonderful.

~Kel

A different idea is a map shower curtain. It lacks some detail, but we used it in our bathroom and ds memorized all of the countries in SA w/o trying (while he was "sitting there"). I moved the curtain over so he could (and did) memorize all of the African countries (had to draw in the new South Sudan!).

I thought I'd suggest this because it's flexible and might work in your space. Perhaps you could put it by the window and hand drapes in front of it.

Here is the curtain: http://www.target.com/s?keywords=shower+curtain+map&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&ref=sr_bx_1_1&x=0&y=0

Spetzi

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions