Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Study Time/Schoolaid Math

Study Time/Schoolaid Math

I've asked it before, but didn't really get a response. Let's try again ;)

Anyone using this? Is it as good as it looks? It seems to fit right in between CLE and R&S, as far as I can see from the samples. I've tried to contact rodandstaffbooks.com about it, but they don't really seem to know anything about it themselves. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you!

re: Study Time/Schoolaid Math

I don't know when you asked, but I've used both. I've been gone for a couple of weeks though. I have to run right now for an appt, but I will come back later and tell you all I can! :-D

K

I have used both levels of SchoolAid - and love them. In some ways I like them better than R+S. I have used StudyTime 3, w/ 4 + 5 here to look at.

SA is very similar to R+S - mastery, continual review, workbook. (I wish it went all the way up.) The biggest difference is that w/ R+S, the teaching is in the TM, whereas w/ SA, you can teach right from the student book. I like that SA has more diversity to its review, plus there were activities to make it more fun. Both programs are easily modified by reducing the number of problems. I also really like the mental math that the dc do in Level 2.

I took the 2 levels of SA and spread it out over 3 yrs. I had them do one page (front + back) each day. Even w/ that, you could eliminate some problems for those dc who do well in math or to spread the lesson over 2 days for those dc who need the practice.

ST is not similar to R+S - spiral, workbook. I love that it's constantly reviewing like R+S, though. When the new info is introduced, it's very simple and straight-forward, not overwhelming at all. Then it's practiced and other concepts are reviewed. So, it's seems to be a nice balance between mastery and spiral. ST also starts doing problems mentally in gr 3, the problem is given verbally and the student has to write the answer. (The 3rd gr R+S is similar to gr 1+2 in that the teaching is in the TM, but it's not a workbook.)

Both SA and ST have missing addends or missing minuends/subtrahends so the dc learn how to do the problems regardless of where the unknown is. This was difficult for one boy I worked w/ who was able to do flashcards very well, until he came upon these problems. True mastery and understanding comes when the dc can figure the answer regardless. (I think R+S do this as well, it's just been a yr or two since I've used/looked at them.)

The other part to consider is that in gr 8, R+S basically teaches preAlgebra where ST just focuses on bookkeeping/accounting/banking/business type material. So, if you're looking for something that will take you up to Alg I, then ST will not. But, you can use ST until PreALgebra. Gr 8 was the only one that really stuck out when I was comparing.

If you have other questions, ask away! I'll gladly answer.

K

Thank you for your lengthy reply! It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Is there a lot of teaching involved? I'm looking for something that they can work through mostly independent. The curriculum we now use is very teacher intensive and I just can't keep up with it.
My main worry is that it doesn't cover everything. That it doesn't go up to Pre-Algebra is not really a problem as they've been a grade level ahead. To do an extra year of Pre-Algebra would be just fine. What did you use after Study Time?

I don't think there's a lot of teaching involved, but my dc do ok w/ math. The books do a good job of working through the steps very clearly w/ plenty of practice. Like any math, you would want to sit down if they need you or even at the beginning to go over the lessons but I didn't find that to take more than 10 - 15 min, at most. And, I just usually read through it w/ them, practiced a couple, and made sure they understood. The rest is all easily done fairly independently. Even ds in 1rst could handle it that way. Just be sure that you are available for questions when they come up - like you would do for most anything.

As for what I've used after, well, my dc are just coming back home and I am now at that level. My considerations for after were ACE, VideoText, or ChalkDust. I am going w/ VideoText this next yr for Alg II so we'll see what happens. I am also using RightStart Intermediate Level w/ ds for PreAlgebra, which uses VT's first module as well. This is a more hands-on program that is supposed to be done independently at this level. I do have R+S 8 here for PreAlgebra as a back-up, though. I wish I could give you a more definitive answer for after, but we are in the middle of that step/process right now. Give me a few months and I can better answer you at that point. ;-) LOL

K

I think we found our new math curriculum! Do I NEED the TM?

for SchoolAid (1+2), you don't have to have the TM, really, but it would be helpful on those rare occasions. (plus it's not expensive.)

For the ST books, you will need to have them. The dictation is in the TM as well as some other helps for the dc. Besides, it's easier to check the answers than it is to do all of them, especially as it progresses. ;-)

K

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions